Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Opel Tinkerer and Rescuer
7,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After all that it took to find a set of NOS front bumper guards, all it took to find a place I could get it done for all the Manta owners that really wanted reproduced Front Manta rubber, there wasn't enough interest to do it.

I can't afford to invest the $1200 in the molds, not including the original cost of $350 for the NOS set.. to produce 50 sets of something I only have 5 orders for.

The production cost per piece was to be about $50, with a sale price of $150 a set. At $50 a set it would have taken selling 31 sets to even break even. The mold was only guaranteed to be good for about 30 to 50 sets.

Wish I could have done it.. but unfortunately its apparently to expensive to get done. Maybe a fiberglass bolt on may happen in the future, but nothing close to a factory looking replacement.

I am still considering making the C-Pillar vents, since I can reproduce them cheaper than getting them from Germany.

·
7,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Talked with the guy that gave me the quote on the 74-75 front bumper rubber.

How does this sound.. $150 for a complete set.

It would be four pieces,

2 bumperettes attached with screws from the inside of the bumper

2 flat pieces with a hole for the turn signal, They would be made longe enough to fit either the Manta or Ascona. I would make a jib to trim them for Manta owners before you receive them. They would be attached with 3M double sided emblem tape to the bumper.

Guys this is the cheapest and only alternative I can come up with that will look good, fix our problem and one that we can afford.

If I can get 8 orders I can get them made.

Charles

·
Manta Maniac
1,385 Posts
Put me in for a set too Charles....anything is going to be better than the mess that's hanging from th front of my gold car just now....
Point to ponder....if the rubber was molded with a 'bag' where the indicator is, you could use the indicator housing to help hold the strip in place....

·
7,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Gary said:
I'm in for one set. (Does this mean I will be getting the "sample" back?)
The Ascona sample will not be cut in anyway, but he will need it to use it to make the the template for the molds. So you will get it back once he is done.

Currently I have 4 dedicated and 3 maybes..

Charles

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.