Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Senior Contributor
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi, sorry haven't posted in a couple of weeks with school getting in the way. But i have been driving my gt to school for the last two weeks, and no problems, until yesterday... i have replaced the fuel pump 3 weeks ago. i have oil driping from somewhere. i have driven my gt about 5 miles a day for the last two weeks. Well other than the brakes being noisey. the enigne will start up fine when you pump the peddle a little, but when i get out of my drive way it dies. and when i start it back it with no problem i go down the road just fine until i have to push in the clutch or come to a stop. it dies every time i hit the clutch when im slowing down, or if i hit the brakes to come to a stop. i replaced the fuel filter today. and it got good and warmed up and it died twice in a two mile trip. I really need to know how to fix this problem.. or is it a goner?, i dont think it is that bad.. but ya never know...when it gets good and warmed up it doesnt die as often. it is not a take off problem, it is just killing itself.. so basically its not wanting to idle while it is being driven.. any ideas? any help would greatly be appreciated.

·
335 Posts
What kind of shape is the Carb in? Has it had a kit put in it lately? How's it idle, could there be a vacuum line off, that could cause it to idle poorly. Also have you checked your timing to make sure that it is not too slow? Just some thinking out loud, hope it helps.

·
Senior Contributor
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
now that you mention it, i think it kills it when i hit the brake.... I have had the brakes sqealing, could that be from the booster not letting the pistons on the caliper go back in? i have new front brake lines, used good calipers, and nos pads... i put some old shims in.... but Any ways where can i get that hose from? i will try that first. it has a fresh tune up( points, rotor, cap, wires, plugs).. new fuel pump, and fuel filter.... it drove fine two days ago, except the brake sqeal every now and then, but they worked pretty good. I only killed it once before that and it was my fault, but that was when i first got insurance on it.(1 month ago).. But now it dies when i hit the brake/clutch.... when it gets warmed up it doesn't do it as often, i drove it up my drive way and hit the brakes soft and it didnt kill it, but i think thats probably it... hope this can help you help me....

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,115 Posts
my GT used to do that all of the time with the solex. a rebuilt one at that. my cure was a weber, altho it does still die once in a great while if i take off with it cold in the AM and stop. probably some carb settings aren't quite right.

·
Senior Contributor
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i went out and felt around the hose on the brake booster and it seemed alright until you go to where it connects at the carb. is this a special hose(size or anything)? the brake booster looked pretty good, i didnt look to close but i think it is fine, but that braided hose didnt look so good....

·
648 Posts
The fastest and easiest way to test it is to unhook the hose from the brake booster and plug it up with something and give it a try. The diaphrams can fail inside the booster with no outword indicatation.
Jc

·
1,881 Posts
A couple of years ago I had the same maddening problem...had to keep my foot on the gas every time the clutch was pushed in, and try to brake at the same time, or it would die out. Mine turned out to be vacuum leaks at the gaskets. I put on a new intake/exhaust gasket, and new gaskets and sealer on the spacers between the intake and carb., and it runs like a champ to this day.

·
Senior Contributor
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i went out and tested it today and it dies on its on when I put it in to neutral to slow it down. but then i took it home and sprayed some carb cleaner in and then i took it back out and then it only seemed to die when i push the brake. sounds to me i need to fix both

·
Senior Contributor
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
it idles fine if i just let it run out in the drive way, its when i drive it it beome the problem, it dies sometimes whehn i hit the brake and sometimes it doesnt die at all.... and sometimes it wont hit the brake(only the clutch and it dies)

·
Senior Contributor
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
when i hit the brake the rpms go down fast, and when i let off they go back up slowly...

·
Senior Contributor
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
when i got out and start it in the morning , it starts and then dies if i dont keep giving it gas, when it warms up it idles alright. but when im driving in the mouring it dies when i dont hit the brake, when it warms up and wont die every time i push clutch...when i hitthe brake the rpms go down. what is wrong could it be both booster and carb? or does that sound like a vaccum leak in a hose?

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,115 Posts
do some searches billy and there might be some stuff to further educate you on what some of your symptoms can be casued from. mine was carb, but thats just me, yours could be something completely different.

·
Super Moderator
6,361 Posts
Willy_g77 said:
when I got out and start it in the morning , it starts and then dies if i don't keep giving it gas, when it warms up it idles alright. but when I'm driving in the morning it dies when i don't hit the brake, when it warms up and wont die every time i push clutch...when i hit the brake the rpm's go down. what is wrong could it be both booster and carb? or does that sound like a vacuum leak in a hose?
Sounds like a leak in the booster diaphragm ,AND a Solex carb. Just any Solex carb.
Oh, and for Otto's sake (and his sanity), I used the on-board spell check...

:eek:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.