Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone direct me to a thread that deals with the handle of the handbrake? The spring on the button at the end of the handle doesn’t seem to have much spring left and I have to pull the button out with pliers when setting the parking brake. Is there a way to rebuild the handle itself?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. Definitely more detail than my FSM has. I guess there is a way the get under the handle to release the spring? It is tight and the metal tube is pinched in two spots acess is tough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Senior Contributor
1,468 Posts
Just my Honest Opinion, I would reach out and find another GT used E-brake handle, there Tons of extra out there..
probably no more than 20 bucks... less aggravation, frustration, That's what I would Do.... Maybe Opelspyder Keith probably has extra's , I was going to Take one apart , dissemble unit.. to powder coat in Glossy Black.. decided not too. Just painted and installed works fine :veryhappy

Found this neat new Handle for the E-Brake

https://www.pro-gt.de/en/grip-handbrake-lever.html

·
Super Moderator
5,635 Posts
Just my Honest Opinion, I would reach out and find another GT used E-brake handle, there Tons of extra out there..
probably no more than 20 bucks... less aggravation, frustration, That's what I would Do.... Maybe Opelspyder Keith probably has extra's , I was going to Take one apart , dissemble unit.. to powder coat in Glossy Black.. decided not too. Just painted and installed works fine :veryhappy

Found this neat new Handle for the E-Brake

https://www.pro-gt.de/en/grip-handbrake-lever.html
I just bought a new handle from OGTS, but they had to dig through their inventory to find it. It cost $20, which seems a tad pricey for a piece of plastic, but it IS a nice piece of plastic...:veryhappy

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
13,981 Posts
I have an automatic, therefore, no need for a parking brake, so I removed it.........and tossed it.....sorry, I would have given it to you for free.

Ditching it allowed me to make a much more useful center console.

It's my job on this website to always suggest modifications instead of oem stuff, so here goes. Behold! The wonder of aftermarket parking brake kits:

https://www.jegs.com/vpt/Lokar/Parking+Brake+Kit/4294923461

Screw one of these babies to the left side of the footwell and have a foot actuated parking brake:

3aa546af-c18f-4c0b-bad6-633295fa7e1e.png

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the suggestion, I wouldn’t have thought of an aftermarket solution. Good to know. OGTS is going to check and see what they have. Meanwhile, I,ll keep messing with it.

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
I don’t know the laws in NJ, but in some states you can’t pass annual inspections without a working emergency brake.
I know this is an old thread but my e brake handle is doing the same thing. Plastic? I have electrical tape wrapped around mine. N.C Doesn't require an inspection. Jarrell

1 - 9 of 9 Posts