Opel GT Forum banner

21 - 40 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
If someone has the above solution, please post, pictures, and how this problem was resolved.:yup: Thank you, Jarrell
I looked in the service manual for help trying to figure this out. The spring looks to fit very close to the brake lever. Any rust in that area would create problems. there is also a control rod that's in the brake lever and it starts at the push button at the end of the brake lever and runs down to a Pawl. The rod comes pretty close to the end of the lever. The rod operates the pawl, there is stop plate (bolts into the entire assembly). The pawl looks to have a shaft that actually engages, or disengages the parking brake. Any rust on any of these spots will cause the E brake operate poorly (if at all).

If spraying PB Blaster on the inside of the lever from the "push button" does not work, the I would imagine you would have to take the entire assembly apart to get at the control rod and the pawl. I would suggest that if you have to take it apart to fix it, that you disassemble the entire parking brake and use very fine sandpaper to get rid of the rust. If there is no rust, I am perplexed.

Bob

·
Registered
178 Posts
I managed to further break mine by putting oil on the button. DO NOT USE A PETROLEUM BASED OIL ON THE BUTTON. The rubber swelled and the mechanism went from sticky to frozen. I pulled it apart, and boiled the button in water to help lift out the oils. Then I gently sanded the OD spinning it in a drill press and reassembled it. It works OK now. I did use some light oil then grease in the metal portions of the linkage.

I sprayed some STP rubber protectant on the button when I was done, which seemed to loosed it up a bit more.

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
Good afternoon. I have several E Brake handles available, I am attaching a picture with the quantities available. The cost post paid is $30. The price of the exotic woods is unbelievable. If you would like one (or more), please do a PM to me with your full name and address, I will answer with my email address for Paypal payments. If you don't have Paypal, the U.S. mail will work, but it will take a little longer. I have Walnut wood that I am going to turn and make the E brake handles, but only enough wood for two.

Thanks, Bob
Which one is the olive wood handle? (If you have the stock steering wheel it would be a great choice). Is the steering wheel still available? just give the total, shoot me the address, via PM, I'm gone at nine, I'll hang around til 10, cause ya'll boys like to sleep in out there.:p, Just messing with ya, no harm, no foul, oh, Bump, Take care, Jarrell

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
I managed to further break mine by putting oil on the button. DO NOT USE A PETROLEUM BASED OIL ON THE BUTTON. The rubber swelled and the mechanism went from sticky to frozen. I pulled it apart, and boiled the button in water to help lift out the oils. Then I gently sanded the OD spinning in in a drill press and reassembled it. It works OK now. I did use some light oil then grease in the metal portions of the linkage.

I sprayed some STP rubber protectant on the button when I was done, which seemed to loosed it up a bit more.
Morning bump, Hi Bob, check your PM inbox. Thank you Jarrell

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I received my Tulip handle yesterday. It's a work of art! Can't wait to try it on.

Wes
Thanks, I am glad you like it. Just a side note on tulipwood: I bought the piece of wood probably 10 years ago. The tulipwood handles turned out to be very popular. So I went online to find it, some companies had tulipwood, but only 1/4 inch thick. I looked for about an hour and no one has the size I need. The company that I bought it from doesn't carry it at all. The lumber that was 1/4 inch x 3.5 inches , by three feet long was priced at $89.00 plus shipping. Oh well, it might be rare, but it was just sitting in a cabinet for years, I am glad it worked out. Please post pictures after you install the tulipwood handle.

Bob

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
I just want to get this message to the top of the forum threads.

Bob
I had a good speech setup and was about to post but, anyhow it takes a lot of time and effort to do, so if you want one, you'd better get one, I think there is something about a steering wheel too, but last week was a long one for me. So I guess as of yesterday, I am retired and I am tired, so I get to work, like Bob, on what I want, when I want, so I can do what I want. I want to start working on my Gt. So hopefully I will have on the outside pad, by tomorrow night. Then I get to move indoors, turn on my heat and it's been a long time getting here.

So buy an E brake handle. You snooze, you loose. Take care, Jarrell:veryhappy

·
RunOpel
730 Posts
I just received my parking brake handle today and it is absolutely beautiful. :yup: It matches my original steering wheel as if it was from factory. Bob does remarkable workmanship. If anyone is remotely thinking of replacing their parking brake handle, I would strongly encourage replacing with one of Bob's wooden handles. They are by no means cheaply made. Thanks Bob for making this handcrafted piece of art for my Opel. I will post pictures when installed. :banana::banana::banana:

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
Thanks, I am glad you like it. Just a side note on tulipwood: I bought the piece of wood probably 10 years ago. The tulipwood handles turned out to be very popular. So I went online to find it, some companies had tulipwood, but only 1/4 inch thick. I looked for about an hour and no one has the size I need. The company that I bought it from doesn't carry it at all. The lumber that was 1/4 inch x 3.5 inches , by three feet long was priced at $89.00 plus shipping. Oh well, it might be rare, but it was just sitting in a cabinet for years, I am glad it worked out. Please post pictures after you install the tulipwood handle.

Bob
Ya'll see there. [/QUOTE] The tulipwood handles turned out to be very popular. So I went online to find it, some companies had tulipwood, but only 1/4 inch thick. I looked for about an hour and no one has the size I need. The company that I bought it from doesn't carry it at all. The lumber that was 1/4 inch x 3.5 inches , by three feet long was priced at $89.00 plus shipping. Oh well, it might be rare, but it was just sitting in a cabinet for years, I am glad it worked out.[/QUOTE] Last one for the night. You're 3 hrs behind me, Bye, Jarrell

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
I have two more wood varieties if any is interested. The picture is below. the top two are blood wood, the bottom two are osage orange. Hope these work for someone. I may have a good source for tulipwood, I am checking that out today, if not too expensive I will get some. I will post pictures of that once they are done. Glad that the comments have been great from the people that bought them, thanks.

Bob

Attachments

·
Registered
2,894 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts

Attachments

21 - 40 of 79 Posts