Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Kalifornia Kid
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This has been a dream of mine for years, and I am more than jazzed about my purchase today. It started with the Isuzu rear disk brake conversion idea posted by Charles Goin, which I did, refined and submitted to OMC years ago.

Leading to the idea of installing a Opel Calibra 4x4 rear suspension. The Calibra suspension was modified and used in the Cadillac Catera and later in the Australian Holden's and Pontaic GTOs. These suspensions are great and can handle extreme horse power, but are rather difficult to modify. After many months of reasearch, looking into everything (including Japanese car adaptations) the BMW e30 system (while not the most modern) turns out to fit the Opel Manta theme the best.

I research the Miata, Nissan 240sx, Mercedes 190e and more modern BMW e46 rear suspensions. Again, the e30 rear suspension is not perfect, but...
A. It is close the the Mantas track width (with room to shorten, without reinventing the wheel)
B. Has the same bolt pattern, and wheel hub centric size
C. Has tremendous aftermarket and racing support
D. 3.46 & 3.64 gear ratios are available (super close to the Opels 3.44 & 3.67 OE ratios)
E. This suspension has already been fitted to a GT (thread is on this site)
F. Found a shop in Washington state that can shorten CV axles
G. Lastly it can handle 200+ HP in a 3000 pound car stock (My Manta is 2200 pounds and 150 hp)

This is going to be a long project, and I will post beyond slowly, while I finish the restoration of my friends Opel GT. However, I am more jazzed about this conversion than my decision to fit the Opel 2.0L C20XE engine in my Manta. That and I still keep the Opel German-Made!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
708 Posts
Very interested as I have got a BMW e20 irs to do the same thing to my opel gt.
Its very similar to yours but with drum brakes as standard. It is also only 1 inch wider than the gt. I look forward to seeing your future posts.

·
Non Civilian
2,092 Posts
Super interested myself. Going to be getting back into Opeling this summer and an IRS in the Manta is just what I'm looking for.

·
Registered
36 Posts
hey did you did the irs swap im about to start doing it on my manta i have all the parts already any tips

·
Your Noble Friend ;-)
4,422 Posts
related thread:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts