Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
13,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ooopps. I think I screwed up. I partially disassembled my spare '68 3:18 rear axle for cleaning and sand blasting and after removing the axles I pried the rubber seals in front of the bearings out. Uh-oh. I'm not talking about the skinny o-ring seals, I mean the BIG rubber seals in front of the bearings. I'm pretty sure they were worn/torn, so whether I screwed myself by destroying them getting them out, the fact remains that they need to be replaced. I don't see any mention of this rubber seal in the OGTS catalog and have not seen them mentioned in a thread.

Is this rubber seal impossible to get? Is there a substitute? I could use another c-clip for the end of the axle, too. The last 1/4" of one of mine snapped off getting the axles out.

:banghead:

·
Administrator
9,981 Posts
If you can get the dimensions off the old on (O.D., I.D., thickness) you may be able to cross it over to a replacement with a 'net search. I was able to do that with the front wheel seals on my '51 Olympia. NAPA had them in stock, listed for an AMC.

·
Super Moderator
8,153 Posts
I'm not talking about the skinny o-ring seals, I mean the BIG rubber seals in front of the bearings. I'm pretty sure they were worn/torn, so whether I screwed myself by destroying them getting them out, the fact remains that they need to be replaced. I don't see any mention of this rubber seal in the OGTS catalog and have not seen them mentioned in a thread.

Is this rubber seal impossible to get? Is there a substitute? I could use another c-clip for the end of the axle, too. The last 1/4" of one of mine snapped off getting the axles out.

:banghead:
:veryhappy
Harold

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
13,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Harold! Are you snickering! Dang ye!

Don't worry, it's not the rear I got from you. That one is in the Baron. This one came from Rodney KillerTexasGT and I've been sitting on it for 3-4 years now. Since you guys had already disassembled it, I fixed up yours first.

·
Opel Key Master
4,881 Posts
The seals are readily available, but the bearings were not until now. They has been a huge production of early bearings in Germany...just waiting till that supply is fullfilled in the states. I don't expect suppliers to get into any hurry, since we haven't been able to get crush sleeves now for 3 years.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts