Opel GT Forum banner

41 - 60 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Yes, my brother Doug and I had a great time w/Roy at the Penske show. We really made a day of it. After Penske which ends at 10am we then headed to McDonalds for breakfast then back to Roy's to watch an Opel CD while we passed time before heading to the big weekly show at "the Pavillions" in Scottsdale. After a few hours of looking at cars and Roy taking pics 'til his battery died we headed across the street to the 5 and Diner for a nostalgic meal of Meatloaf and mashed potatoes and veggies... actually very good.
By the way one of the "Morgans " @ Penske wasn't a Morgan. I believe it was an ACE powered by a Harley crate motor.
This week The Auctions come to town so we will be heading over to Barrett Jackson at least once... I understand there is an Opel 1900 Sportwagon being offered. The lesser $ cars usually go at the beginning of the week. You can walk around and see everything inside in the big tents connected to the Auction tent but to see the cheaper cars go outside and you will find great cars that we can probably afford including lots of "orphans"

·
Befuddled
227 Posts
Traveled through Carefree back in august, was working in Scottsdale..

Nearly hit a pig, while driving south on Darlington...

in order to keep this somewhat on topic, i was driving a 2015 Challenger :cool:

·
Befuddled
227 Posts
Did the pig look like this ? , see pics
Google 'Javelina - You Tube' for more.

On Topic....I will post pics tonight of Opel 1900 seen at Barrett Jackson Monday.
Looks about right...
Didn't appear to be in much of a hurry..

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
OPEL 1900 at Barrett Jackson

These were taken Monday. Hood was open Tuesday. More pics latter.

Attachments

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
translation

Will someone translate the dealer stickers on back panel and rear window. Please.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Roy and I got a close up look at the car and it wasn't as good as it appears in the pics.... but it was nice. It says the car is not restored but it appears to have been restored to some extent. The headliner appeared to have water stains by the back window. The roof appears NOT to be original and appears to have possibly been sprayed on with bedliner or similar and had a few small dents that had been sprayed over. It was definitely unique and you won't see another at your local car show or Opel show.

By the way I brought the Opel Targa back from Calif. on Tuesday and went to the Exotic show at Gainey Ranch in Scottsdale. It was very well received. I cruised very comfortably at 80 + mph all the way there. It is only turning 1500 rpm at 50 mph in 5th.
The newly rebuilt engine is very strong and I'll be testing it more thoroughly after it is broken in and I sort the fuel starvation problem at high RPM.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
P.J. I have no real idea if that was a good price, or if Rekord might be considered
more collectible somewhere else in the world. Thanks for posting sale info.

I enjoy looking at all kinds of cars, with some it's like backwards time travel,
with others it's going someplace I've never been. Over 500 pics at B-J.
Only spent 20-30 minutes in two days actually watching auction.

Norbert, thanks for translation. That explains the badge on rear panel.
That Austria badge looked new to me, rather than original to Car.

Attachments

·
Opeler
3,698 Posts
P.J. I have no real idea if that was a good price, or if Rekord might be considered more collectible somewhere else in the world. Thanks for posting sale info.
That model of Opel Rekord was often used as a taxi car in many European countries. Not sure why would somebody want to have it unless for nostalgic reason.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Car Show saturday 10/7/17

Tomorrow/ Saturday is the monthly Scuderia show in Scottsdale. The show is off the 101 at Scottsdale road south 1 light to Mayo then right into mall. Starts at 7 am ends around 10

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Tomorrow/ Saturday is the monthly Scuderia show in Scottsdale. The show is off the 101 at Scottsdale road south 1 light to Mayo then right into mall. Starts at 7 am ends around 10
And I am headed down the road to somewhere else (Texas this time) for the 6th month in a row! Have a great time Craig. With Roy out of town, I need a fix so take some pics! :yup:

Doug

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I left my camera back in NY but did take a few pics w/ my cellphone. We left my Targa home and took my brother Doug's Manta. the AC works but not great and the car is so slow compared to the Targa that it takes some getting used to. I have to talk him into some engine mods and we have to get a better cooling set up for the engine as well as the Tranny and AC system. The outside temp was 90 coming home 11am and the Manta was running 3/4 towards hot all the way home ...40 miles.

Roy is back in AZ but was busy this morning so we will have to get together w/him at the Penske show on the 3rd Saturday of the month...If you are back be sure to join us. We got there at 6:50 AM and there were already over 100 cars there and the row for German cars was filled so they put us in the English row. The show is supposed to run from 7-10 am but everyone gets there early. Some started leaving at 8... nuts. Among my favorites were 2 Devin bodied VW's, a Morgan (asking $40 k) a Lasalle and an Abarth based on an 850 Fiat w/a 1300cc engine.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Penske Museum

Cars and Coffee at the Penske Museum and dealership complex b4 8am. Take the Loop 101 to Scottsdale Rd. Exit south and drive a couple of blocks The Penske complex is on the right. Roys 1.1 GT , my 2.4 Targa GT and Dougs (Mark Paar's) 1.9 Manta will be there .. Come join us.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
I didn't get to Penske Saturday but Craig & Doug came to Cave Creek after the show.
Right after the 2 Opels parked here a new neighbor walked over and introduced himself.
Told us a friend in Illinois had a GT and loved it, then he took some pics to send back 'home'.

We took my GT and Doug's Manta for a 25 + mile drive thru Cave Creek and Carefree and
checked out several places for lunch, including Big Earls in C.C.,and Venues Cafe in Carefree.
Next we looked into Heart $ Soul (with a '57 Chevy convertible inside) on Carefree Hwy
before going back to Bryan's BBQ in Cave Creek for eats. A guy in a Corvette pulled in behind us
with the usual comments about not seeing a nice Opel for years. He said his wife's first car was
a GT ( re-painted black ) and took several pics of ours to show to her.

So we had a good time, enjoyed the 'cooler' weather, and and stirred up some memories for others.

Attachments

41 - 60 of 98 Posts