Opel GT Forum banner

61 - 80 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
How Cold Was It ?

Looking out my AZ front door at hail in February after a week in Florida. Unusual.
Caught a ride with slracer to MECUM Auction Thursday 3 14 2019.
We saw no Opels, closest cousin was this Pontiac Solstice, 2 or 3 for sale here.
At least 2 Mercury Sun Valley s , Rare survivor glass roof. Ahead of their time.

Back to the Question "How Cold Was It ?"
....It was so cold that not everyone was wearing shorts.

Found this perfect Indian, but didn't take a test ride.

Attachments

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
This is a little nostalgia time travel for me , you're welcome to come along.
The first time I went to England I wanted to rent a Mini , but ended up with a VW Polo, also pretty small.
At the McDonald's Pavilions there have been several original , including Rover built, and 'new' Minis this year.
When I got an invitation to pretend I was back in the UK I went for it.
I have not driven my GT to this free every Saturday afternoon, open to all show yet, but plan to correct that soon.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Looks like you may need to trade the GT for a Mini.... I think you'll get in and out easier. The right hand drive scares me on the USA roads but I'm sure you can find one w/LHD.

·
Opeler
1,407 Posts
This is a little nostalgia time travel for me , you're welcome to come along.
The first time I went to England I wanted to rent a Mini , but ended up with a VW Polo, also pretty small.
At the McDonald's Pavilions there have been several original , including Rover built, and 'new' Minis this year.
When I got an invitation to pretend I was back in the UK I went for it.
I have not driven my GT to this free every Saturday afternoon, open to all show yet, but plan to correct that soon.
When I lived in New Orleans, I used to go to the British car show every year because two of my engineers were members of the sponsoring club. My friends had an Austin Healy 3000 and a Sunbeam Alpine with the small block ford engine, respectively, but there was always an Austin Mini full-competition car there that I liked. It was black, with racing engine, racing tires, roll cage and big yellow numbers and was a beautiful little car.
The owner said that it had a compression ratio in the 14:1 neighborhood and that it would only function on race fuel. He fired up for me and revved it a time or two and the sound would just raise the hair on your neck. It had a megaphone tipped straight exhaust and revved like a dragster. Cubic inch for cubic inch, it was the wildest sounding engine that I had ever heard.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
Doug Roberts and I went to the McDonald's Pavilions Scottsdale car show again this afternoon.
Within 10 minutes we spotted a GT looking for a space. I took a shot, looking into the sun.

The GT owner, John R. owned this car on Long Island NY. ..2.0 L, Webber, Aluminum Radiator, 4 Speed, Big Wheels & Tires ,
Obvious body modifications and more. We exchanged contact info and will try to get a line of Opels showing here in future.
IIRC he said this was his first time at Pavilions show, so our timing was very good... First Opel I've ever seen at this weekly show.

It was crowded this Saturday because the weather was good and Barrett-Jackson and Russo & Steele are less than 10 miles away.
I plan to see cars at B-J Monday and may go back a second day, possibly check out R&S also. So check in for more pics later.

Attachments

·
RunOpel
1,234 Posts
Very nice GTRoy, I'm jealous of your weather :veryhappy Snow is predicted over night in the
Pacific NW :sigh: Not fun driving :drive: the Opel GT

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Very nice GTRoy, I'm jealous of your weather :veryhappy Snow is predicted over night in the
Pacific NW :sigh: Not fun driving :drive: the Opel GT
The weather in NY is great but I'll still be happy to get to AZ where my Targa is. I'm planning on going to Barrett jackson on Wednesday with free passes Doug got at the Ford dealer..It won't be early since I'm not getting into Sky Harbor til 1am.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
More of John R. s '71 GT.... & 3 RoadRunners, first 2 at McDonald's Saturday.
The feathered one was in my backyard, but more often seen seen on the road than these winged Plymouths.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Pics?

So where are the pic's from Monday at Barrett Jackson I know you took quite a few.
I'll be going tomorrow/ Wednesday....hope to see you (and perhaps Doug Robinson) there.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
I missed Monday at Barrett-Jackson, also Tue., Wed., Thur., & Friday. So here are some more from McDonald's Saturday.
First, a '59 behind John's GT, A split window Corvette with Roadrunner, One titled " Don't Touch My Riviera"
Last, 2 oldies, painted to match like twins, but I was told by different owners.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
I missed Monday at Barrett-Jackson, also Tue., Wed., Thur., & Friday. So here are some more from McDonald's Saturday.
First, a '59 behind John's GT, A split window Corvette with Roadrunner, One titled " Don't Touch My Riviera"
Last, 2 oldies, painted to match like twins, but I was told by different owners.
Roy, here is the info about the "Legends of Speed" exhibit at the Phoenix Art Museum: Phoenix Art Museum | Art, Culture, Film in Downtown Phoenix, AZ

They charge $20 for their all day ticket but they also offer a "first Friday" show from 6PM to 10PM for $8. Whatever works!

Doug

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
Legends of Speed

Doug...Yes, Thanks for the reminder. I want to see those cars. I can go about any time in January.
In February I have one Dr appointment and a few days out of town, more on that later.

Craig, his brother, and I are going to Pavilions this afternoon. ( 1 18 2020 ) Will you join us ?
I expect John, who we met last week , will be there also. He plans to go to Phil's in Fountain Hills Sunday.

Can anyone identify the first two similar motorcycles here? Note the frame, fenders, and motor orientation.
The Indian is easy.

Attachments

·
1,692 Posts
Roy
Your pictures of the Road Runner Bird brought back a memory and a smile to my face. Early in our marriage my wife and I were living in south Texas near Corpus Christi. While out driving one day I pointed out a Road Runner to my young bride. She absolutely thought I was lying to her as it did not look anything like the cartoon. This was pre-internet so had to find a book on wildlife with a photo to convince her. She was very disappointed.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
Roy
Your pictures of the Road Runner Bird brought back a memory and a smile to my face.

John...Pleasant Memories, Pictures can do that.

The week after those Plymouth Roadrunner shots the Flying Merkle was parked with the motorcycles so I asked the rider about the unknown bikes pictured above. They are called Simplex. Often used to deliver Telegrams during WW2.

Attachments

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
2 /12/ 2020, We had an enjoyable dinner with Bob D ( SpringGT ) and his wife as part of a visit to Houston Texas.
Bob has a well preserved Opel GT that he bought new ! , He showed pictures and shared European experiences.

My daughter planned our first trip to Houston to see the Space Center, Art Museums, Gardens, and more.
The Space Center was more than I expected. We saw the actual Control Room tracking things in space, then into
the restored original control room and relived the 1969 moon landing. The closest experience to Time Travel ever !
Note : We got the Opel GT and the Moon Landing in the same year ! Coincidence ?

Saturday, our last full day in Houston we heard of a house covered in beer cans, while there we were told of an
Art Car Museum not far away. 3 pics. That led to a Brewery that had 6 Art Cars. 2 pics ( of 2,280 pics taken )

The last pic is a mural taken while we stopped for a long slow train. Mural includes a Corvette, big brother to our
GTs, and a VW from the Opel homeland.

Attachments

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
2 29 2020 ; 3 Opel owners went to a Saturday afternoon car show at Pavilions, Scottsdale.
None of us took an Opel , All of us had an excuse.

VW owners took up the slack with examples from Bizarre builds, to nice touches,
( spoke wheels, streamlined roof rack , etc ) to a VW Brasilia, rare in the US.

Attachments

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
3 7 2020 This morning 4 wide awake Opelers met at Scuderia Southwest on Mayo ( Very different than'with Mayo' ).
.Doug brought his Manta with Craig as passenger. They dressed appropriately with Opel Colors.
Before we left it had warmed up nicely, so I took another somewhat different shot.
There is a story behind the Don Quixote Racing logo, that Doug can tell it if he wants to.
slracer brought a fuel tank for me to give to Jim E who is restoring a GT to replace one he owned years ago
but still remembers.

Finally, If I couldn't have an Opel GT, well... a Daytona would do nicely !

Attachments

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
3 7 2020 This morning 4 wide awake Opelers met at Scuderia Southwest on Mayo ( Very different than'with Mayo' ).
.Doug brought his Manta with Craig as passenger. They dressed appropriately with Opel Colors.
Before we left it had warmed up nicely, so I took another somewhat different shot.
There is a story behind the Don Quixote Racing logo, that Doug can tell it if he wants to.
slracer brought a fuel tank for me to give to Jim E who is restoring a GT to replace one he owned years ago
but still remembers.

Finally, If I couldn't have an Opel GT, well... a Daytona would do nicely !
Looks like a good time... sorry I missed it! I've been out of touch here as I couldn't log in.

Man, is it just me or is the new layout of this site hard to follow?

61 - 80 of 98 Posts