Opel GT Forum banner

81 - 90 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Looks like a good time... sorry I missed it! I've been out of touch here as I couldn't log in.

Man, is it just me or is the new layout of this site hard to follow?
Thanks for posting the pics Roy.....Cameron, I agree that the new site is hard to follow.... I believe like everything else the more we use it the easier it will get. I miss the Location no longer being posted with the writers site name...I'd like to see the real name and location of the writer...I really don't need to know how many post they made.
I/We try to go to the Scuderia the 1st Sat. of each month and to the Penske show every 3rd Saturday of the month. Come on down and join us.... Also, how are are you enjoying the motorhome?

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Thanks for posting the pics Roy.....Cameron, I agree that the new site is hard to follow.... I believe like everything else the more we use it the easier it will get. I miss the Location no longer being posted with the writers site name...I'd like to see the real name and location of the writer...I really don't need to know how many post they made.
I/We try to go to the Scuderia the 1st Sat. of each month and to the Penske show every 3rd Saturday of the month. Come on down and join us.... Also, how are are you enjoying the motorhome?
Hey Craig... Yes, I'll have to try to make one of those gatherings. We're loving the moho (though we haven't been anywhere over the winter) and are getting ready for a trip to Oregon coast for the month of May, assuming the Coronavirus doesn't shut everything down that is!

We have our AMC show at Verrado again this year, on April 11th. I'm planning to drive the Javelin down for that. I have the rear end out of it right now putting new seals, bearings and axles in it.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I miss the Location no longer being posted with the writers site name.
If you hover your mouse pointer over the flag next to 'Registered" below their username, it'll popup their location.

Also by default it reveals the location of anyone who hasn't entered their location, by scanning their IP and tracing it.

It's both less useful to people who want it displayed, and less useful to people who don't want it displayed. But that's a rant already ranted about elsewhere.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
Matt, Useful information for the curious, Thanks.
Makes me curious....Why doesn't anything show with your Mapleleaf.
P.J. has the same flag and it gives a location. Are you hiding ?? Ha Ha:unsure:

·
Registered
337 Posts
Makes me curious....Why doesn't anything show with your Mapleleaf.
1 - If you haven't chosen anything for a location, but did not disable "show my location" (why would you, when you know you didn't type one in), it does reverse lookup on your IP and tells everyone what country you most recently posted from despite your obvious intentions. I used a proxy in Vietnam and sure enough it told people I was posting from Vietnam. This is what I've done. I've never entered a location, so it tells everyone I have a Canadian IP.

2 - If you have told it not to share your location, it will be blank, even if you've entered location information.

3 - If you enter your location, you must choose from the available locations in their database (so the system can track you and sell your data, they don't actually care if it's helpful to the community or not). Some of their locations in their database violate their own conditions on what a location can be, because they're idiots, so when it autocompletes and you select that location, it then tells you it's an invalid location. However, if you pick a valid one, then it displays a fixed country flag and the mouse-over for location shows the city/state too.

Hence... people who want it shared it might disable, people who don't want it shared it forces you to unless you turn it off, and no one is allowed to actually broadcast it, they force everyone to go through the extra step of hovering on the flag to actually tell people rather than people organically remembering where people are from just by reading. But "Registered" is important to tell everyone below their username. Everyone's registered. Priorities.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
3 10 2020 , John R , whose '73 GT was introduced in posts 65 & 68 here, and I
went to the Phoenix Art Museum to see 'Legends of Speed', Great Show !

I found 2 YouTube videos ;
... and...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06Q7ICzawVo&pbjreload=10

If these links don't work Google 'Legends of Speed at Phoenix Art Museum'
and 'Carchaeology Visits the Legends of Speed'.

Attachments

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
For over 5 years now I have enjoyed a variety of car shows in the Phoenix - Scottsdale area.
Many times that has been with other Opels, both GTs and Mantas, and Opel owners and fans.

Unfortunately officials here have felt it necessary to ban large and small gatherings to protect us from a virus.
I don't like this, but I personally think it is better to be safe than sorry. And I am in the age group in most danger.

No one really knows how bad this pandemic will be, or when things will return to 'normal' but car shows may
not be a big part of our 'fun' this year. So this Museum exhibition 2 weeks ago deserves another mention.

The Maserati Birdcage made a big impression on me in my impressionable years, so it was great to see
another one in this collection . These pics were donated by John R. and Craig R. (not related) .
The Birdcage was in the darkest part of the room, behind the Cobra Daytona # 13.

Attachments

·
RunOpel
984 Posts
It certainly is a big bummer that a lot of our annual car shows are getting cancelled :( But I agree with you GTRoy, better to be safe than sorry. There is always next year and hopefully this virus will end soon.
Thanks for the pictures, pretty cool car.

·
Opeler
1,376 Posts
For over 5 years now I have enjoyed a variety of car shows in the Phoenix - Scottsdale area.
Many times that has been with other Opels, both GTs and Mantas, and Opel owners and fans.

Unfortunately officials here have felt it necessary to ban large and small gatherings to protect us from a virus.
I don't like this, but I personally think it is better to be safe than sorry. And I am in the age group in most danger.

No one really knows how bad this pandemic will be, or when things will return to 'normal' but car shows may
not be a big part of our 'fun' this year. So this Museum exhibition 2 weeks ago deserves another mention.

The Maserati Birdcage made a big impression on me in my impressionable years, so it was great to see
another one in this collection . These pics were donated by John R. and Craig R. (not related) .
The Birdcage was in the darkest part of the room, behind the Cobra Daytona # 13.
Hey Roy, you survived the decibel level of Phil and Derick's Jazz Bar, so a pandemic ought to be easy for you. Hang in there and keep the pictures coming!
Bob

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #90
Hey Roy, you survived the decibel level of Phil and Derick's Jazz Bar, so a pandemic ought to be easy for you. Hang in there and keep the pictures coming!
Bob
Phil and Dericks was a Full Blast experience!.... I had only spent 2 days in N.O. years ago, Bob mentioned living there, so a place promising " Bringing
New Orleans to Houston" seemed to be a great spot to meet and eat. We had barely introduced ourselves and sat down when the Band fired up, Way Up,
far to loud for any conversation.... We asked to be moved to a quieter spot, the staff kindly accommodated us. The other guests tolerated us :unsure:.

The food and the company was good so it turned out to be another great Houston & Opel experience.

Here are some shots from Concours in the Hills, Fountain Hills AZ, Feb 2018 ( # 5 car was at Laguna Seca, Aug 2015 )

Attachments

81 - 90 of 90 Posts