Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Opeler
4 Posts
Kind of new to this site have been folowing quiety but as you can see have made no posts i happend to run accross this eaton supercharger but have not been able to find out much about it the assy no is 18047 3 not sure if it would be adaptable to a opel but might be a thought I havent got a gt yet.But am working with some one and will have one soon but it is too nice to do anything wild to was thinking about later if i find a project car.

Randall

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,298 Posts
Eaton clutched screw supercharger

Nice unit. OOC, do you know what vehicle this was used on? :confused:

·
Opeler
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes it came off of a BRADLEY FIGHTING vehicle that had a test pontoon system for swimming that never made it to production and the swim system got droped from the requirements it has some other componets to rout the air and some ducts.

Randall

·
Idiot with a GT
155 Posts
Are you saying the supercharging was discontinued? Or just the aquatic capabilities? If the latter, how can I get in on the government auctions? ;)
Dave

·
Opeler
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
it was on a test vehicle that the company i work for had developed for research and the supercharger just filled large pontoons now the vehicle has went back through a rebuild to newer configuration so it was no longer required. i simply ask and recived. not sure what I will do with it yet.

Randall

·
583 Posts
Supercharger displacement

That Eaton supercharger has an output from .75L-1.5L per revolution. It can have an application for engines from 1.8-5.3L. You need to find out what the displacement of the unit is before you bolt it on. It could be a good addition but you'll need to know what it was designed for. If it's supposed to inflate a pontoon, it probably has a large displacement output for volume. That could mean using it on an Opel is like stuffing 10lbs. of flower in a 5lb. bag! Or, in this case 5.3L of boost in a 1.9L. That could be trouble. Red River Army Depot is an interesting place to get surplus stuff you must admit.

·
Code Goober
243 Posts
I think that would look awfully nice on my 13b GT - 'course, then I'd need to get another rearend for it, and probably some better insurance.

·
Member 1000 Post Club
1,520 Posts
I friend of mine used to own and race a 1958 Bug-Eye Sprite with a supercharged 13B. He used an RX-7 tranny and rear end. But he had special axles made for it. It was a beast. He never had it on a chassis dyno, but it would run low 10s in the 1/4. It was a little overweight in its class, E-Mod. It weighed 1561 pounds. When they ran ~4.10 rear gears, they launched in 2nd gear. It would lay two huge black stripes until they shifted into 3rd gear @ 10,000 rpm. The Prince of Oman now owns it.....

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
Eaton ...

An ideal way to 'wake-up' a lo-compression Opel motor - run this type of supercharger at 4 to 5 psi boost.
The main advantage of a supercharger is that it increases torque and drivability right through the rev range - unlike a turbo that has to spool up first.
Toyota uses them on Levin GTZ 1.6 litre motors and on their Estima people carriers 2.0 litre motor for increased "oomph"
The electric clutch, just like a/c compressors use, allows the switching on and off of the supercharge boost - neat huh?

Attachments

·
Senior Contributor
673 Posts
VW/ Mercedes

http://www.automotive.eaton.com/product/engine_controls/superchargers/M45.asp
The Eaton Supercharger is used on the Mercedes Kompressor and on VW Rabbits, saw one on de. e-bay modified for the GT or Manta, it sold for $600 euro, they can almost double the HP out put on an engine, but like David said you have to match the supercharger to the engine to get the best performance. They are not that cheap $3000 to $5000 for the M-45 but maybe cheaper at a pick-a-parts if you can find one, they are quite small almost as big as the old GM A/C Compressors, as this is where they are mounted on the Manta's.

·
Super Moderator
14,562 Posts
Eatons are pretty cool. I got an MP62 unit from a Nissan that just needs a front drive rebuild (about $175), and I will be putting it on my low compression 1972 wagon engine. With programmable EFI, an intercooler, and modest boost (9-10 psi) it should make about 45-50% more power than stock, or about 105-110 hp.

·
Premium Member
1,973 Posts
Does any one have a lay out for how a supercharger would work on an opel engine with efi? I can not wrap my mind around the set up of such a thing, a drawing would be great. I am very intrigued with the kompressor supercharger with the a/c compressor style clutch on it. Can that clutch be set up to slip and limit boost? can it literally be turned on at any time? wouldn't it still want to slip on the serpentine belt?

·
Super Moderator
14,562 Posts
Does any one have a lay out for how a supercharger would work on an opel engine with efi?
Well, in the case of a Manta or Ascona, it can be fitted pretty easily to the left hand side of the engine compartment (opposite the EFI intake). A GT is another matter though...not much room there.

·
Premium Member
1,973 Posts
I have an idea that would be pretty trick and work on a gt most likely. Convert the radiator to a pusher type fan, which will free up space and go to a ford EDIS crank trigger that will eliminate the distributor. Then there is space above the alternator for the supercharger and a boost tube can be run in front of the engine to the efi manifold. The only main problem that I can see other than the pulleys would be the bracket in which the supercharger is mounted that is what I would like to get ideas for if anyone has a clever set up for bracketry. The water pump pulley would probably have a modifiable swap out there that can be done with some drilling or minor machining. The alternator pulley would be simple because gm or delco remy alternators have tons of aftermarket pulleys. The crank pulley would be tricky but there is probably one out there that can be machined to work and then matched with a trigger wheel. A megasquirt II v3.3 ecu would control it all with fuel and spark curve and be able to react to boost pressures very quickly if the supercharger is actually switched on or off (if that is possible to do on the fly) another question I have is about the tension on the serpentine belt it would be more than a v belt which may trash the water pump often, and is there a real possibility of the supercharger slipping at the belt while it is in normal operation? it seems to me something that could slip concidering the monster belts that are used on v8's that if the belt is too tight it can snap the snout off the crank shaft.

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
I don't think you'd want a clutch in the drive setup on a roots style blower. When the rotors aren't turning very little air would get through.
Big yes on the crank triggered ignition. It is the rage in high performance. Computer management makes it so easy to control advance and sense boost and the rev-limiters available within do it more subtlety than knocking out cylinders. Coil-on-plug systems now allow up to .070" plug gaps, put out one heck of a spark.
See the Electromotive setups at www.getfuelinjected.com
I want the XDi, spark control only, and need the trigger wheel to attach to the flywheel. Sneaky, huh?

·
Super Moderator
14,562 Posts
One problem is those Supercharger's use multi groove belts but the Opel has the old style v-groove setup
Dave, I'm going to use a leftover Ford F350 pickup air pump pulley, and simply weld it to a stock Opel crank pulley. Max rpms of the blower with that diameter crank pulley will be about 10,800 when the Opel engine is spinning 6000 rpms. It's the same rib size/width as the Eaton blower belt drive. Then I need to make a tensioner. I will probably just use an oversized bearing on a pivoting bracket, with a 'turnbuckle' system to tension the blower belt.

Bob

1 - 20 of 47 Posts