Opel GT Forum banner
41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
OOPS there was a mistake in my aftercooler/intercooler explanation!
Thanks for catching that, Dave.
An intercooler is the air to water heat exchanger. The Cummins and Detroit coolers that are hidden in or under the intake are intercoolers.
The aftercoolers need a whole bunch of airflow to be effective, I've only seen them up front, usually forward of the radiator but sometimes lower and off to the side, but still where a lot of air is flowing through.
Both types of coolers have really small, fine finning and tiny passages compared to even a radiator. A trans cooler is a big tube going back and forth through much larger dissipation fins. Huge difference, when you look closely at how they work.
You could go to any truck shop and see a big pile of massive aftercoolers in the junk pile, they are the part destroyed right after the grille and before the radiator when the deer goes through at 65 miles per hour.
That utility pump is still only moving 4 gpm. Bilge water is not warm. Self priming suggests to me it is a rubber impeller.
Your pump has to move a bunch of water, there is no need to lift it much, just increase flow. Can a moderator fix my mistakes in the previous post, so as not to confuse anyone else again?
This pump is in the Grainger catalog, 1080 gph, 180 degree liquid temp.

·
Super Moderator
14,562 Posts
A little research shows that the OEM intercooler pump for the Ford Lightning is a Bosch 0 392 022 002, and it costs roughly $150.

Another alternative is this pump from Spearco, probably a rebadged pump of some sort from another industry, but you get the idea. It lists for about $290.

These guys also have a complete intercooler kit, with the core assembly, the pump, and the heat exchanger. Designed for performance use, not just daily drivers! Not cheap, but good stuff rarely is.

Bob

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm considering mounting an Eaton M90 on the stock GT 1.9 intake manifold using an adaptor plate to center the supercharger discharge over the intake opening, an offset pulley to align the belt, and a hole drilled in the side of the capped off rear of the supercharger to allow a sidedraft. It'll probably require cutting the heater box area. Has anybody tried a setup like that?

·
Super Moderator
14,562 Posts
I'm considering mounting an Eaton M90 on the stock GT 1.9 intake manifold using an adaptor plate to center the supercharger discharge over the intake opening, an offset pulley to align the belt, and a hole drilled in the side of the capped off rear of the supercharger to allow a sidedraft. It'll probably require cutting the heater box area. Has anybody tried a setup like that?
M90!

That’s (physically) huge! Will be interesting to see if it fits.

Also, think about an M45 or an M62 instead.

The M90 is designed for 3.0 liter to 5.0 liter displacement engines. On a 1.9 liter Opel making 70 hp, you’re gonna eat up a ton of power just spinning that supercharger over.

Good luck.

·
Can Opeler
3,937 Posts
I’d look at an SC14 supercharger. And AMR500 can also do 3psi on 2.0L

You can get Weber 32/36 adapters for the AMR500 so you could use your stock intake easily. They also make DCOE attachments for the intake side of the AMR500

41 - 47 of 47 Posts