Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does the front exhaust pipe listed in eBay auction Item # 2421577732 look like a decent item? There seems to be several identical pipes listed, the seller has no feedback ratings at all.

They are suppose to be 2" pipes, but I'm not certain if the flange will bolt up to a 1.9L exhaust (or Sprint) manifold. I sent the seller an e-mail asking, no reply yet. Seller said they are made in Germany, so I thought someone here might be familar with this pipe.

I still haven't had my custom exhaust system installed yet ( 2" pipe to a turbo muffler, 2.5" over axle to dual tips). I was going to have it tie into the stock engine pipe, but this seems like a step up? Comments please.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
9,765 Posts
Jimsky;
The bends in the pipe look correct, the tubing is bigger than stock. Looks to be a well made piece

·
240 Posts
Here is the stock 73 GT headpipe next to a 75 FI headpipe.
The pipes come together about 8 inches further back on the
75 FI.

Take a look at this thread…http://www.opelgt.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1029&highlight=headpipe

You may wish to have a custom headpipe fabricated. One that puts the collector further back. I don’t know if this really will help low end torque, just throwing out an idea.

Is head pipe one word or two? Oh, and note the much coveted
FI exhaust manifold. :cool:

Attachments

·
Registered
37 Posts
Please forgive my ignorance, but I know even less about exhaust issues than I do about just about every other component on my GT.

So here are my questions in regard to the pipes on Ebay:

1. Anybody have an idea how much modification is necessary (if any) to install them or are they "plug n play"?

2. With pipes like these, what else follows...do you still need the resonator like the original setup (and what is the resonator for anyway?) or just a muffler?

3. I kinda wanted to beef up the sound, so I was thinking about putting glass packs on...would that kill any HP gain that I might have gained with these pipes, and do they even make glass packs that would fit the GT?

4. Are there other alternatives (other than glass packs) to give my GT that testosterone oozing sound that we all love?

Thanks for any responses and again, I apologize for any ignorance I've shown in this post:)

Jason

·
Super Moderator
9,765 Posts
Jason;
Go to (community.webshots.com/user/bqs4) and look at "custom exhaust" for my GT and Sportwagon exhausts. Both are just about the same. Stock front head pipe, then into a 2" system of just one Midas turbo muffler, then over the axle, then in the GT's case, a custom "U" shape to match the openings, with pencil chrome tips, and heavy duty hangers (no donuts) The Wagon differs in that I found a ANSA resonated tip from another car that worked great. Both have a good strong tone when you get on it, but, not the loud "farty" tone the rice burners have.
Gene

·
Registered
37 Posts
How much did your Midas custom exaust cost for the GT? I can't stand that moped sound of the mufflers everyone's using on the rice burners.:D

·
Super Moderator
9,765 Posts
Jason;
The GT was done about 15 or so years ago and have NEVER had any problems, I think back then it cost me $157. The Sportwagon was done about two years ago and I think was around $200.

·
Super Moderator
9,765 Posts
If you weren't so far away, I'd take you to this shop and have him do one for you.

·
Super Moderator
13,988 Posts
I just checked out the Ebay listing on these front pipes. They list two different pipes, one for the 1.9, the other for 2.0/2.2 applications. However, in the photos, both listings clearly show the larger 2.0 flange. Anyone bidding on these pipes should verify that the 1.9 listing uses the smaller flange to fit the 1.9's manifold, (both standard and Sprint types).

Bob

·
587 Posts
I know the "sprint " & 75 FI exhaust manifolds are better than the stock 1.9 ones. But are the 2.0/2.2 exhaust manifolds even better to use on a modified 1.9? I see they are available "new" in Europe for the price of used 1.9 Sprint/75 FI ones here in the USA. That's if you can even find one here. Other than the larger flange, anything need modified to use these?

Tom C

·
Super Moderator
13,988 Posts
Good question. I used to import 'early' 2.0 FI manifolds, which were exactly identical to the 1.9 Sprint/FI manifolds with the exception of the flange bolt pattern.

But at some later date.....when I don't know, they changed the design altogether. Probably to allow fitment to other chassis. But I know these 'later' manifolds have an altogether different flange location and angle, so they don't match our US-Opel's headpipes. I don't know much about them otherwise, having little experience with them.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I like his claim of like 19hp! WOW I think if an exhaust pipe gives a 20% gain there is something seriously wrong.

·
Super Moderator
13,988 Posts
Agreed. If he gained 19 hp, chances are he originally lost 17hp or so due to the mice living in his stock exhaust......

·
587 Posts
Opels of Suselbeek must sell the earlier style one with the larger flange that also fits the GT. This is for a new part. Of course shipping would cost a bit.

" 2i exhaust manifold (Sprint)
Item No.: 108036
big mount
Price: 131.94 EUR "

Tom C

·
Registered
19 Posts
has anyone received any email or questions back from this guy? I emailed and got no response. With 0 feedback, my worries are it is just another ebay rip off. I am right in the middle of doing an exhaust job, and adding the Sprint manifold and these look pretty good. I had a 1 5/8 pipe, and want to move up to 2". I have and will have quad tips from anza. Taking it all to a custom shop near me once I get it all gathered together.

·
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I've sent the seller two separate e-mail asking to confirm that the flange will bolt up to an stock 1.9L exhaust manifold. To date I haven't received a reply to either message.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.