Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, want to start by stating that this is a great site, very well put together. The reason for my post is this. I did a "buy it now" on the following eBay auction #4551351442. As it turns out there was a mistake with the first listing with this car and so it was relisted. The car "sold" twice me being the second "winner". I just spoke with the owner and told him that in all fairness the first winner should get the oppurtunity to buy the car. The first auction ended at substantially less money so the owner is losing out but he wants to do the right thing. I was looking forward to the car and was getting a flatbed set-up to go and get it. I am in the process of having a garage built and wanted to make this my first project car. This will be my first garage - no more changing the alternator on my plow truck outside during a blizzard.

I am very dissepointed with the outcome and it is still possible the first winner will not come through - it has happend to me before with eBay car auctions. I very much enjoy this site and have found much information that will help me when I finally find the Opel of my dreams.

By the way the first winner is in PA - the car is in upper Maine - so if the winner is reading this please reconsider :)

·
427 Posts
Trying to understand just what it is you are wanting to know/learn from your post... first, regardless of what you have done to prepare for your Opel ( i.e. flatbed, garage...I assume you would have done the same for this or any other Opel that you would have acquired) If the car was relisted that usually is because the previous winning bidder failed to comply with the terms of the sale... if this is so, then he/she has no claim to the vehicle, and hence you acquired it properly. If this is not the case then it seems that there may be fraud on the part of the seller (possibly due to sellers remorse, as in too low or lacking a reserve price?) but would be almost impossible to prove damages. Definitely look out for your own best interest, but also remember that there are other nice GTs out there. I also purchased my current Opel via evil-bay, but my experience went much better. One thing I did do, however, was contact the seller before even bidding. One reason being that I do not like PayPal... another was that I had some specific questions I wanted answered before making such a large purchase sight-unseen. Fortunately, I was not dissappointed. I have done quite a few large purchases through e-bay over the years and have learned alot and if I can be of any assistance, please feel free to contact me. Good luck with your transaction!
Brett

·
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply - what happened was the the owner listed the GT on eBay when he went to check on it a couple of days later he could find no record of the auction so he reslited it. The second auction I won - but then the first auction was still going on. Now he has two auctions and only one car. The reason for my post - just to introduce myself and make contact with the others on this site. Thanks again.

·
427 Posts
Well then, let me correct myself and start by saying welcome. I too am somewhat new to this great site and have found it to be a wealth of information and sometimes just interesting reading. The moderators do a terrific job of guiding the hapless (pointing my dirty, greased caked finger at myself) to the right threads or sources needed to complete the mission. Sorry about your bad experience in trying to acquire your Opel, but I am sure that if you have the bug, you will find one soon enough!
Happy Opeling!

·
boomerang opeler
5,636 Posts
woofs have you had a look in the adds section on this site ?there are a few gts for sale (im surprised they have not been telling you )
look in box MENU on left of home page and second line down ,then look in cars :D

·
Registered
275 Posts
Hey Woofs and welcome!
That was a decent thing you did - don't stop being that way, there are too few people like you left in the world. Let's hope that collected 'karma' will send another Opel your way if this one doesn't work out. Best to you!

·
Life Long Opeler
692 Posts
WOW, I can't believe that the ... oh... oh, sorry. WELCOME to the wonderful world of Opelmania!!!! Ok, to continue, I can't believe that he didnt look on ebay under OPEL GT under newly listed and see his car. It all very well could of been a technical glitch on ebay's part too. We'll never know.

At any rate, I wouldnt say this is something that has gone "BAD", it was just an honest mistake on his part and somethings just can't be prevented. You have a good attitude in letting the first guy have first right of refusal. It is becasue of your attitude that this deal ISNT going bad.

I would settle it this way. If both auctions ran out and the other auction ended first, then I would say that the FIRST winner has the right to the car. But, if you did a "Buy it now" option and yours ended first becasue you "bought it now" then YOU have the legal right to buy the car. It is the same thing as if I listed a vehicle on ebay and also had an ad in the paper and someone saw the ad and came and bought my car. The car is NO LONGER available for sale. As a matter of fact, that is one of your choices when you cancel bids and then remove an item from auction. Apparantly this buy didnt know how to do that.

Basically because of his lack technical knowledge on ebay, this mess is his fault. I say that if you have the rights to the car, as based on my explanation above, then I'd go and get it and let him deal with the mess that HE created.

M 2 cents worth. HTH

Thom

·
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Update!

Good news! The saga continues - got a call from the owner this morning. The 1st winner went to pick-up the car last night (500 miles one way :eek: ) and found out that there was no title for the car! In PA you need a title, so they passed on it (they were upset to say the least!). In Rhode Island if a car is over 10 years old you do not need a title just a bill of sale to register a vehicle. So I am picking up an auto transport tomorrow morning at 7:30am driving the 6 hours north with my son and driving home. So as it stands now I will be getting the car after all! :) Thanks for the support and I will post some pics when I get it home. The owner took some $ off for my hassle.

Here is a link to the eBay auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4551351442

p.s. Can someone tell me what a "replaced torque tube donut" is that refering to an exhaust gasket?

·
328 Posts
torque donut

Nothing to do with the exhaust. It is a common item on a gt that goes bad and if it has been replaced already that is great because it is a terrible job to do.

·
boomerang opeler
5,636 Posts
well done on getting the gt at last
the doughnut is part of the drive train where the prop shaft joins the torque tube on the rear axle (a tube coming forward from the rear axle towards the gearbox that helps the axle stay in place)

·
Registered
28 Posts
No, its more of a bushing style damper. The driveline from the transmission connects to a torque tube that acts as an extension of the pinion shaft. The bracket on the front end of the torque tube solid mounts the tube to the chassis. This bracket as a donut that supports the tube. That donut is rubber and would get old, crack, and just turn to crap. So hey the car ur getting has a new one so don't worry about it. Happy opeling, when you get the car, take a look, you'll understand instantly what we're talking about.

·
Senior Contributor
540 Posts
when they are bad, when you take off the makes the horrible rear end "clunk".. its a nice looking car.. have a safe trip getting and most of all enjoy it..

·
Life Long Opeler
692 Posts
The torque tube donut replacment isnt THAT bad to replace. Kind of akward at times but its not the worst thing Ive had to do. You're fortunate though to have it already done for you.

·
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Gary glad to see someone local - where is "Opels on the Lawn on June 19th" taking place? There is a large car shown coming to Goddard park in Warwick in August - last year's show was featured on My Classic Car with Dennis Gauge. I grew up in Warwick, it's a small world.

·
Administrator
10,230 Posts
Opels on the Lawn - http://opelgt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5426

My GT won a couple of trophys at the "Wheels of the World" show a few years back when it was held in Smithfield. They have a ton of classes, foreign by year, etc. It must be huge now that it's at Goddard park.

·
No....its not a Buick....
1,546 Posts
hmmm....

Its a little strange that the seller listed the car with a clear title. Knowing very well that he didnt have one. Then to let someone drive that far to come and realize this??? Sorry,justs sounds a little strange to me. It may have been a lack of communication,or knowledge. But I certainly would be a bit leary of the whole thing(its my nature to be a bit paranoid :) But the seller definately knows your HOT for this car. And other issues with the car may have been "forgoten" in passing. My advice is to stand back and soak the whole thing in before you leap. Did you happen to E-mail the other winner? I certainly would, just to see what another persons pros/cons of the deal was. Maybe he knows somthing you dont?? OR..... I could be completely wrong and it is a legit mistake.But.....I kinda doubt that the other winner wouldnt put up a stink if he thought that the car was worth his bid. I do admire your aspect of the situation tho. good things come to those who wait!
HTH Joe

·
Administrator
10,230 Posts
yellaopelgt said:
Its a little strange that the seller listed the car with a clear title.
Titles are not required in Maine for older cars. That may have been the sellers interpretation for the eBay "Clear title" block.

My '51 Olympia came from Maine and was not titled. All I needed to do to get a MA title was get proof that it was registered in Maine. MA DMV would not accept the Maine license plates as proof, I had to get a print out from Maine DMV and have a MA police officer verify the VIN. Slight hassle but no major deal stopper. RI will be much easier.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts