Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Opel Key Master
5,268 Posts
Ebay trans

There was a big article in a past OMC Blitz magazine about this setup-I think he was putting it into a manta and had to modify the likage. Pretty neat though.
Keith

·
583 Posts
Lycock Overdrive

That is a Laycock Overdrive unit used by several manufacturers, primarily British Leyland, to convert a four speed to an overdrive gearbox. Thomas Hofmann used one of those on his '72 Manta Rallye 4-speed to convert it. He modified the shifter to fit the Manta. He said it worked fairly well. He has recently returned from Germany with another of the units to use as a spare.

·
247 Posts
i have seen opels unlimited list an 8-speed trans for the Opel. Does any one know if this is the same setup. That looks type used in the older Volvos, i think that the overdrive only worked in 3rd and 4th gear.
dan

·
583 Posts
Overdrive

This unit has an electric selenoid switch that engages the unit. I believe that it can be overriden to operate in all gears. This is the unit that Opels Unlimited advertises, but I do not know anyone who has purchased one from Todd. As posted eariler, this unit was used by several manufacturers. I had a 1980 MGB with this OD unit as a "5th gear".

·
boomerang opeler
5,636 Posts
dave is right you just override the switch to give overdrive in all gears , it is worked on a jag or or other bl car by a switch on the top of the gear knob so to use in first and second as an 8 speed you have to be very fast on the switch
easyer to use as a 6 speed with a high or normal 1st and 2nd then 3rd, 3rd high, 4th and 4th overdrive i think the one on my old jag box would have made it impractical to use as anything but a 4=overdrive as the ratio for 3rd high and 4th would be the same near enough as would make no difference
i dont have the ratio for the triumph one or the rover one but think they were the same

·
Registered
152 Posts
Laycock OD

That is a Laycock Overdrive unit used by several manufacturers, primarily British Leyland, to convert a four speed to an overdrive gearbox. Thomas Hofmann used one of those on his '72 Manta Rallye 4-speed to convert it. He modified the shifter to fit the Manta. He said it worked fairly well. He has recently returned from Germany with another of the units to use as a spare.
Which Laycock OD was this?

·
Registered
152 Posts
Laycock OD

Thanks for the link. I was expecting to see something in the link indicating the unit was a Type A or Type P/J, but did not see that; but having the link is a help.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts