Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:eek:
So its 4:30pm and I'm on my way to the bank to deposit $3000 in cash from work and happily toolin' down the strip in the GT when to my horror, a mouse runs out from under my seat, along the console and up under the dash. Between watching traffic and instantly considering my options, I see another mouse exit the passenger seat and travel his side of the console up under the dash. Now you can imagine what was going thru my head when I realized that there I was--driving 45mph with traffic on all sides and my pant leg laying invitingly open right next to the path taken by the rodent. All of a sudden they both shoot out of the dash and retrace their steps along the console, dangerously close to my leg and back under the seats. Let me state here and now that I am not afraid of mice. On a regular basis, I have to wrestle live and dead mice out of the Jaws of Death known as my cat, Winston. But the thought of one inadvertently racing up my pant leg--unintentionally, mind you, sent me into a panic. I just wasn't sure I could keep it together with a mouse in my pants while negotiating traffic in a hurry to pull over--of which there was no place to do so for quite some distance. My spouse's office was half way between me and the Bank. I gritted my teeth and talked calmly to the rodents, imploring them to stay put till I could park the beauty. So they did and I flew into spouses office, slammed the door and gasped that I needed his help. Needed to get to the bank before it closed--he threw me his Tundra keys and I was off like a prom dress. He drove the beauty home and we have set mouse traps in the car. This morning, the traps are emptly. I ask you--what the heck am I to do to keep them out or even get them out? Its that time of year--I see where they have started pulling the "stuffing" out of the firewall under the dash and some has melted on the oil resevoir-thingy. Halp! Just don't suggest mothballs. I used them once in the garage and my 2.5 RS stunk like high heaven and it wasn't even close to the mothballs. EEK! :eek:
Jo Anna

·
Vendor
2,428 Posts
Place newspaper on the seats, and one mouse trap on each seat baited with peanut butter. Do this at night, after you've parked the car and it's nice, quiet and DARK.

Todd K.

·
Premium Member
1,802 Posts
Irish spring

Irish Spring soap works almost as well as mothballs, and not nearly as offensive a smell. Of course you could roll down the windows and leave Winston in the garage with the car for a couple nights...

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Did the peanut butter trap thing last nite. No mice and it is real peanut butter--what more do they want? I see spouse absconded with the beauty already this morning--bet he thought it would just sit in the garage till we have confirmation of dead mice--thats so cute. Can't wait to hear if they came out and complained about him driving too fast. Think I'll try the Irish Spring idea. We have plenty of that. Any more suggestions? I'm trying to laugh about this but I feel like I have been violated without a kiss....

·
1000 Post Club
4,118 Posts
Jo Anna;

I'm planning to do the Irish Spring trick this winter because I had a similiar problem.

A mouse(or mice) made a nest inside my heater box. Everytime you turned the fan on, pieces of the nest came out and it stunk! To remove the heater box, you have to remove the dash and dash pad, not fun! I know you know this but get them out of there as fast as you can!!

I know about the jaws of death, I have a cat and she enjoys tourmenting field mice and then eating them, yummy!

Jeff;

P.S. I love your posts, they are very entertaining :)

·
Resident Curmudgeon
1,576 Posts
"Off like a prom dress." Man, THAT'S one that I haven't heard in a while!!
Just tell the mice that before they can go up your pants leg, they have to at least buy dinner first. If they're male, they'll be out of there in a shot! :D

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
Friends!

Around here little darlings like that are known as "Car pets" :)

The ones that get into my cars are usually after the fish & chip wrappers and the remains of pies .......... The point is to make sure that there is absolutely no food inside the car.

·
Opeler
43 Posts
Car Pets

If it were up to me, I would take Winston for a nice long drive with the heater on full blast, and as they say let nature take its course. Can't beat a better mouse trap than the Jaws of Death.

:p Max

·
Registered
15 Posts
mice

Peanut butter is good bait. Mice don't like to eat in the open, they will but prefer cover. Set your traps where you know they are working, or right on the trail to and from. Also go to the feed store and buy a box of mice pellets. feed these inside, next to the garage wall behind cover.
Works for me.
Good luck

·
Super Moderator
6,363 Posts
Jo Anna said:
... I see spouse absconded with the beauty already this morning--bet he thought it would just sit in the garage till we have confirmation of dead mice--thats so cute. Can't wait to hear if they came out and complained about him driving too fast.
I'd be checking to see if said spouse has visited any pet stores lately. Seems that a sure-fire way to get to drive the beauty would be to "plant" a couple of snake-baits (rodents) and..voila! He gets to to use the GT pretty much all the time!

It takes a man to understand a man. I have a wife and three daughters. NONE of whom I understand...

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
kwilford said:
I have a wife and three daughters. NONE of whom I understand...
Uh, yeah Keith. Welcome to my side of the house, 4 daughters, as did my sister. My brother-in-law and I share your confusion.

Back on topic, a shoe box with a small hole in either end and baited trap inside will do the deed also. We've been lucky so far here, the mice and rats tend to go into the barn where the dogs reside, so when they start raising a ruckus, it's time to set out the traps again. The rodents actually reside in a pair of cars on the other side of our common fence. I'd like to...................never mind. :mad:

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Right then. Decon, traps in a box, Irish Spring and the "Jaws of death". That should do it. We banged on dash and seats last nite before putting the beauty to bed. No sight of mice. There's never been any bit of food in car so don't know why they wanted to set up winter housekeeping...
I wasn't able to determine the sex of the critters as they ran back and forth while I was driving. I'm guessing they are female else the males would have made a bee-line for the pant legs! You know how it is with men. They can't help it.
Wish I could turn the heater on but the temp lever won't stay in the heat position--don't know how to fix it. The fan works and it did blow crap out of the vents...no smell yet, thank heaven.
I let spouse drive car again today--and I"m going to investigate the possibiity that he is behind this whole thing--very clever and once again, I owe all you who responded a big "thanks"--I would NEVER have guessed that he set this up---huh--maybe they were really wind-up mice and this is all a ruse...
jo

·
Pathologic Opeler
1,960 Posts
some mice prefer cheese

Jo Anna said:
:eek:
...I was off like a prom dress. EEK! :eek:
Jo Anna
pretty funny saying Jo Anna..i am still laughing

I had a mouse run inside my pant leg of my coveralls and back out , when I was under the car last year. I went to buy traps..l could only find the " humane glue traps locally"..seems cruel to me.

I finally found spring traps, i baited evernight for a week with peanut butter, no mouse. I switched to cheese and had the little bastard in 15 min or less. :rolleyes:

·
Super Moderator
14,879 Posts
My barn is frequented by little grey critters, and I hate what they do to my Opel parts. I've always used mousetraps baited with a raisin covered in peanut butter. This has never failed to catch a mouse overnight, while I can't say that cheese has always worked (it usually turns moldy before it catches anything!). It could have a lot to do with how aromatic the cheese is though.

Bob

·
boomerang opeler
5,670 Posts
i have always found that little mickys like chocolate more than dairy
a mars bar here (i think milky way bar in the states ) is very good at getting mickys and there bigger cousins

·
Kick a little asphalt
1,485 Posts
I was told years ago by an elder to place fresh mint leaves and stems in any area where mice were unwelcome as they cannot stand the scent of it. They told me to cut it from the plant and bend and roll it in your hands to release the mint oil from the leaves. I have used this method for 23 years in all of my cars that spend time sitting and have never found any evidence of mice being in them. It works very well and leaves a pleasant odor behind without staining. We have wild mint growing in our flower gardens just for this reason (ok, and for flavoring sun tea in the summer). Just place a few sprigs under the seats and in the trunk. You have to renew it after it has completely dried out. Good luck!

Duane

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Mouse score: Mice 3 Me 0
Thats three days now that they have moved in (that I am SURE of) and they have figured out how to eat without springing the trap. What? Is there some technical school they go to before approaching a spring trap? For cripes sake.
OK--today the Opel stays in the garage (its my last day of work and the boxes I have to pack won't fit in the beauty) and mint will be their next course. I have it growing in the garden for Winston the Cat, a.k.a. Jaws of Death. Everybody--cross your fingers. I'm buying new traps today as well at the feed store. And raisins. Lordy, my car is starting to look like a food bank! For heavens sake...
When my job was eliminated, my first thought was--Oh, no--I'll have to sell the Opel! Now I have decided--mice or no mice--I'll do any job to make my loan payment. How brave of me. Next week, I've been hired to work in wardrobe for a Broadway production of "Miss Saigon" coming to MTU. I'll spend five days in the basement 10am-10:30pm--$7/hour. Sounds like a typical GT owner, right???? Just a GT-slut I guess.
Well-its time to suck up my guts and get dressed for the last day of work at $20/hr. Ouch. and now, I'm off like a bride's nightie!
Death to the rodents!
Jo

·
Resident Curmudgeon
1,576 Posts
Frostbite

Jo-
All these clothes removal metaphors - you'd better watch yourself. After all, it's September now, which means the snow could come any day in your neck of the woods! Better keep those clothes on, or at least handy.
If all else fails, there is D-Con. It works great. The only drawback is the critters go off somewhere and die, and usually the "somewhere" is someplace where you don't want them to be. The good news is that the smell eventually goes away. ;)
Mel in much warmer Wisconsin

·
Idiot with a GT
155 Posts
mice and rats - yum!

We had a difficulty with rats a few months ago. A friend of ours who is an exterminator sugestted that poisons not be used for the simple reason that the critters will curl up and die in the least accessable locations, which of course would require Irish River instead of a mere spring to combat the odor. He had us use spring traps baited with a piece of Snickers bar. Granterd, these were ratsand it was easier to wedge the candy onto the trigger, but the same principle should work. Also, the traps should be in a mouse traffic area. Hope this helps.
Prayers for those in Katrina's wake. We made it through Charley, Frances, and Jeanne, and we're kinda used to it. They aren't.
Grace and Peace,
Dave

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.