Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there an electric fan out there that will fit before the radiator on an Ascona and provide ample cooling. Keep in mind this is for an auto trans. so there will be added heat load over a manual trans car. Would like to remove some of the parasitic losses of the car. I realize it wont be much since it currently has a clutch fan('75). I haven't begun sizing up fans but if someone has already tried something I'd like to know of your experiences with it.

·
Kick a little asphalt
1,484 Posts
Hi Joe,

I run a Spal electric fan on my 2.4 Manta. The measurements are 14.17" overall diameter at it's widest point but, there are two flats 180 degrees apart from eachother where it is 13.62". This allows it to fit the radiator core as the core is wider than it is tall. The thickness is 3.39". This fan is a pusher style that requires mounting it in front of the core. I have used this fan for four years now on a car that sees frequent hard track use and have never had any cooling problems. I do have a 3 row core also. If you decide to install one of these fans be sure to install a relay to carry the electrical load. This particular fan will draw 19 amps. Whatever you do, do not try to save money by buying a cheap fan. It is very important to get a fan that moves enough CFM to cool the engine. The cheap fans do not move the amount of air needed. Blade pitch and stiffness are important factors in moving higher CFM. Cheap fans don't have the pitch and the blades are weak so they actually flatten and loose pitch as they try to move air. Racer Parts Wholesale carries the Spal line of fans. My fan cost just over $100 about
4 1/2 years ago. The RPW part number is SPA-00851. It will also fit an Ascona. I hope this info helps you.

Duane

·
Opeler
65 Posts
be careful

I ordered an electric fan kit from TGSI in January of this year, paid 200 bucks, and still have no fan kit :mad: . So be careful as you look at your options. I would not recommend sending any money to bob dennard or TGSI for any such kit...it would be a rip off!
oklaopel

1 - 3 of 3 Posts