Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Über Genius
9,535 Posts
Looking to switch over to an electric fuel pump for my 73 GT. Any suggestions on which pump to use?
I used the E8012S pump.
It ended up having an airtex document in the box.

I do intend to carry a spare, just in case.

·
Super Moderator
6,035 Posts
MODERATOR's NOTE:

I have moved your thread to the 6C - Fuel System
Fuel Pumps
Forum, where you should find a number of related threads.

HTH

·
Can Opeler
3,698 Posts
Most of us use a carter p60504 pump. I have mine mounted near the drivers rear wheel under the fuel tank. I've used it for 2 years with no problems.

·
Über Genius
9,535 Posts
Most of us use a carter p60504 pump. I have mine mounted near the drivers rear wheel under the fuel tank. I've used it for 2 years with no problems.
That's the one I'm using on my other GT. Has about 2500 miles on the pump.

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
15,722 Posts
I use the one that OGTS sells. It's mounted in their recommended location just in front of the left rear tire as in the pic below. They told me to mount the pump as low as possible to prevent fuel delivery issues when going uphill/downhill. 3000 miles, no problems.

Auto part Pipe Vehicle Fuel line Automotive fuel system

Your Opel will boil the gas out of the carb when you shut down the engine. With the electric pump, turn the key to the run position(but don't start), the pump will turn on, wait about 5 seconds for the sound to die down(meaning that the fuel bowl in now filled), a couple of pumps of the gas pedal to prime the engine, then start'er up!

:yup:

P.S. Do not use the glass filter shown in the pic, use a normal see-through plastic one.

·
Über Genius
9,535 Posts

·
Über Genius
9,535 Posts
Mr. Gasket electric fuel pumps are about the same price, and are available almost everywhere. And they are guaranteed to FAIL.
That's why I am going to carry a spare Airtex pump. I don't know the rep good enough even though it's the brand carried by many parts stores.

·
1,220 Posts
I'm running a Redline fuel pump 99009.131.

Regardless of the pump you run, you should install a pressure regulator and set it to 2.5 psi. Weber Carbs don't like excessive fuel pressure. It's tough on the needle and seat.

I'm using a Redline regulator 31800.050

·
Über Genius
9,535 Posts
same part exactly and still cheaper after shipping?
Yes and no.

Same part number and the difference in shipping is you have to buy more stuff from Amazon to get the free shipping. I don't know about prime users.

Amazon is $38.78 and rockauto is $32.79 (31.16 after a 5% discount code)

Spend $49 with amazon and shipping is free (see their details) where rockauto would be $7.99 (to my house).

So, if you have to pay Amazon for shipping it would be more. If their details give you a path to free shipping then Amazon is cheaper.

A side note. The other day I purchased something that had a "Free shipping on orders over $50" but the part was 49.99, otherwise shipping was $10. So I found a timing chain master link for $2.38 and added it. making my total bill less.

Some can judge my frugalness but I grew up with a full blooded Scottish mother that could pinch a penny so hard that Lincoln would shed a tear. I'm only half Scottish so Lincoln just whines a little when I do it.

Reactions: The Scifi Guy

·
Bikini Inspector
5,774 Posts
i always forget Im prime member and others might not be.

prime is awesome by the way. tell them you are a student and get it free for a year.

super fast shipping and easy returns if necessary.

whatever the case, carter for under $40 is a steal!

3,721 Posts
I have been using Carter pump for several years. It eventually died but fortunately the car was on my driveway. Replacing it, I realized that it would be a major chore to do it on the road side even if it happened that you have spare one. Fuel hoses hardened like a bone and there was no way to remove them, other than to cut them and replace them with new hoses.

So, I installed two Carter pumps, one beside other and connected fuel hose to both of them using Y shaped brass fittings. Only one pump is electrically connected, other is just on a "stand-by". In the case that one pump fails, all I have to do is move spade type electrical supply connector from one pump to another. The whole operation will probably take 30 seconds.

·
Can Opeler
3,698 Posts
I have been using Carter pump for several years. It eventually died but fortunately the car was on my driveway. Replacing it, I realized that it would be a major chore to do it on the road side even if it happened that you have spare one. Fuel hoses hardened like a bone and there was no way to remove them, other than to cut them and replace them with new hoses.

So, I installed two Carter pumps, one beside other and connected fuel hose to both of them using Y shaped brass fittings. Only one pump is electrically connected, other is just on a "stand-by". In the case that one pump fails, all I have to do is move spade type electrical supply connector from one pump to another. The whole operation will probably take 30 seconds.
That is utterly genius. My thought was to leave the mechanical pump attached but the fuel cut off with a valve. I figured that would cause some problems though.

·
Bikini Inspector
5,774 Posts
That is utterly genius. My thought was to leave the mechanical pump attached but the fuel cut off with a valve. I figured that would cause some problems though.
necessity is the mother of invention after all.

his necessity was there was nothing else he could possibly do to improve his GT, so next up Daddy needs All wheel drive.

·
Super Moderator
6,035 Posts

PJ, does the "spare" pump act like a check valve when it isn't running, or did you have to add a valve to prevent the fuel from bypassing back through the inactive pump?

Have you had to run the second pump yet? Would it be a good idea to run the spare pump occasionally, perhaps even have a toggle switch to be able to do so "on the fly"?

Reactions: SpringGT
1 - 20 of 43 Posts