Opel GT Forum banner
41 - 43 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
My 72 has a high pressure fuel pump mounted under the car just behind the drivers seat and ahead of the rear wheel. The pump literally just died last week so I have to replace it now. I've hated this location from day one. It's my understanding that my EFI system is from a later model Manta that would have had a 1.9 as well. I bought the Bosch pump that OGTS sells and of course the connections are different that the vintage pump that's under the car now.

I would like to move the pump & filter assembly to the are in front of the engine compartment where the battery is located. I have a reservoir there as well for the windshield washer fluid...... so I think there would be plenty of room.

Any thoughts or concerns?

I don't if the elevation would be too high but compared to where it is now it would only be 2 or 3 inches higher, tops.

I've never liked it where it so close to exhaust system.

·
Opeler
1,510 Posts
Generally speaking, the suction performance of a centrifugal pump is not as good as the discharge performance. So, centrifugals need to have a relatively short run from the liquid source to the pump inlet. Centrifugals also like to have some net positive suction head (NPSH), where the liquid supply is located higher than than the pump suction inlet.

By relocating the pump to the front passenger engine bulkhead by the battery, you will have violated both of these principals by adding an approximate 15 foot-long suction line and by mounting the pump in a location that is higher than the supply line from the tank.

Most centrifugals are either mounted inside of or very near the outlet of the fuel tank.
FWIW.

41 - 43 of 43 Posts