Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Opeler
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After reviewing all of the "Fuel System" threads and recommended links, I am considering an electric fuel pump.

I know about the recommended fuel pressure and volume for the Weber 32/36 DGxV carbs. However, during my education on this subject ... I encountered many different kinds of electric fuel pumps and a variety of pressure & volume specs.

I'm assuming that the high pressure / low volume setups are usually for fuel injected engines ... is this correct?

What happens if you use this type of setup on a stock 1.9 with a Weber 32/36 DGxV carb?

Just looking for more educational info!

Thanks!!

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Can you say engine fire? From fuel spraying all over the engine compartment. If you know the pressure and flow needed for you carb, use the pump that equates to that. Anything more or less will give you problems. Putting out and engine fire is not fun. Been there, done that, in my old motorhome. :eek:

Ron

·
Opeler
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Fuel Pressure & Volume

Hi Ron,

I was hoping some of you verteran / senior members would respond!

I am going with the recommended pressure and volume when I get an electric fuel pump.

I am just wanting to learn why the different approach with regards to fuel pressure & volume.

Thanks!

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
The real deal on the different pressures and volumes is because the fuel pumps are for the most part generic, and they have to supply fuel to a lot of different carbs on different cars with different sizes of engines. But no single pump can handle all that, and that's the reason for alot of the differences in pumps, and why there are pressure regulators for them. The same goes for fuel injection pumps and the reason there are pressure regulators on the fuel rails, that and to keep the pump cool by continually running fuel through it. No one pump will work on all cars, there are just too many variables. Basically a carbed engine will take less than 10 psi and an FI engine will take in excess of 35 psi. Like I said way too many variables for one pump to handle so there are more pumps to handle many variables. HTH.

Ron

·
Super Moderator
5,298 Posts
Carb low pressure/high volume pump

SoCalOpelGT said:
Hi Ron,

I was hoping some of you verteran / senior members would respond!

I am going with the recommended pressure and volume when I get an electric fuel pump.

I am just wanting to learn why the different approach with regards to fuel pressure & volume.

Thanks!
Here my recommendation for both pump and safety switch:

Weber, DellOrto, Solex pump
:cool:

·
Opeler
134 Posts
Carb Low Pressure / High Volume

HI Otto,

Thanks!

BTW: I had already reviewed your link and appreciate your expertise and many others on this forum.

Thanks again,

Richard

1 - 7 of 7 Posts