Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
15,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's a little thread about installing the EZ Power Steering kit from OGTS. This kit is so simple it appears that you could install it in one afternoon. 4 bolts to hold the mounting bracket to the steering column mount, 2 bolts to bolt the unit to the bracket, several clamps to tighten to fasten the unit to the steering shaft/rack/u-joints, a tachometer to attach to your tranny's speedo gear, and 3 wires. There are no electrical adjustments, just attach everything and start driving. Here's some pics:

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
That looks really cool, but you are the only buyer. I searched OGTS and the result was "none found" for EZ power steering, power steering, and even steering (which got multiple hits, but not for It must be nice to be on Gils "sole buyer" list! :haha:

Doug

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
15,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I only have one bug-a-boo to worry about when it comes to installing this unit: My auto tranny doesn't have the stock Opel speedo gear. I had to install the larger diameter, standard GM TH180 speedo gear in order to attach my electronic instrument cluster's included speedo tachometer. My car does not have a speedo cable, just a tachometer screwed to the speedo gear and some wires going to my instrument panel's controller. This kit comes with a tachometer that will only attach to the Opel speedo gear. So, after some investigating of the wiring and looking over the diagrams of my dash controller, I discovered that my Dakota Digital dash controller has an OUTPUT for speed signals. Next, I sent the power steering kit maker an email:

<<<Hello, my name is Gordon Payton and I have just purchased one of your EZ
Electric Power Steering kits for an Opel GT. I bought it from Opel GT Source
in California USA. My Opel GT has a Dakota Digital(DD) instrument cluster. I
had to change the speedo gear in the TH180 automatic transmission to the
larger, standard, GM gear for this transmission, so that I could attach the
DD speed sensor to it. The sensor with your kit will not work with this.

But, the DD controller has a Speed Output terminal on the controller(I have
attached 3 pictures of this).

Can I just run a wire from the Speed Output on my DD controller to the blue
Speed Signal wire of your power steering kit?

The DD instructions say that I can set the output to "2000 ppm or 4000
ppm"(PPM is "pulse per mile"). Which setting should I program the controller
to send to the Speed Output?>>>

And they sent me this reply:

<<<Hi Gordon,

I think it is the easiest way to just try it.
The system needs a square wave of 5-12 Volt on the bleu wire, so what you
proposed is OK

There is a small controller in our system which is simulating the
speedsignal, it is the small square box with coloured glue in it
When you have a controller with yellow inlay you will need about 160 HZ at
high speed
When you have a controller with red inlay you will need about 2KHz at high
speed.

You should be able to drive without speed input, since the system is load
sensitive it will already assist more with a heavy steering car (low speed)
as with a light steering car (high speed)
The speed input is to give a more dampening effect on the steering and
decreases the assistance at higher speed.

The best way to test it is connect the speed signal and jack up the car, you
will feel the steering will be heavier as the speed increases.

With kind regards / Met vriendelijke groet
Ruud Jong Home / CLASSIC STEERING PARTS
TEL. 00 31 345633551>>>

Here's the pics I sent him:

Text Design Diagram Paper Parallel Food Finger food Text Font Paper Document Material property

So, he's saying to hook it up and see what happens. The nice thing is his mention that the PS kit is "load sensitive" and will kick on whenever the torque to turn the wheel exceeds a certain threshold. The speed control is a feature that turns the unit on when you are below about 15mph. What he is saying is that the unit will turn on automatically at any speed, without the speed input from a tachometer, whenever the torque needed to turn the wheel exceeds a certain threshold....regardless of speed. It's probably not as simple as that, we'll see.

So that's about it. I just wanted to get this thread started, I don't know when I'll have the courage to disable my car for another dang mod and install it.

·
Opeler
1,131 Posts
Sounds interesting enough, but several thoughts.

1. GT's are such small light weight cars that I honestly do not recall ever needing to put any real effort into the steering of my 73. Now that said, I also had fairly stock sized tires on it, only slightly larger than stock IIRC. Maybe with big wide front tires the steering effort is increased?

2. I would be terribly terrified should something happen to fail in said electrical gizmo, while traveling at highway speeds, such that it caused one to vear off the road and crash and burn. I dont know anything about them, but it would be something I would not be able to not think about while driving.

·
Registered
677 Posts
You will like it Gordon, I have a small diameter steering wheel and big tires, it has always been hard to steer. After I installed PS last year it made the car so much nicer to drive. But the big plus is that it eliminated all the steering feedback that was transmitted to the wheel every time I ran over bumps or rough expansion joints in the road.

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
15,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, that's why it's called power "assist". If the power goes out you just return to normal GT rack and pinion steering. While "traveling at highway speeds" it supposedly doesn't assist at all and you are steering with the normal rack and pinion. At below 15mph it becomes active and gives varying amounts of assist depending on the load. But, at higher speeds it supposedly kick in if the steering torque reaches a certain point. Like, sometimes when you're negotiating the twisty turnies your steering in a GT can fight you a bit or maybe when you encounter dips or gullies in the road that cause your steering to get wonky it might kick in. I don't know anything for sure. I'll hook it up and tell y'all how it performs.

:veryhappy

·
Opeler
1,131 Posts
What did this system cost you if you please? Since I too am incapable of finding it mentioned anywhere on the source site.

·
Opeler
3,721 Posts
5 years now with electrical power assist steering in my GT. I love it. It feels like a modern car. Actually, many new cars have electrical power steering these days.
Good move Gordo.

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Brace yourself.......

Ready?

More than $1500, less than $2000.

:sigh:

We're talkin' Income Tax refund kind of money.
No to darken your bright alligator skinned day but, there was a very detailed internet post by the Falcon club showing how to install Electric power steering, from a Saturn Vue, into a short column vehicle. I believe their total cost was about $200-300 and took them a day to do.

I make a manually adjusted feedback interface for a company in California that regulates the effort. That is how I know.....

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
5 years now with electrical power assist steering in my GT. I love it. It feels like a modern car. Actually, many new cars have electrical power steering these days.
Good move Gordo.
I have one in my little 2011 Opel van which is based on the Opel Corsa C (2000-2006) and this unit is the basis for many conversions done in Europe (?). If I remember correctly there's a thread on this board somewhere ......

As with many mods it requires parts from models not sold in the US but if you have contacts in South America it was sold there until 2012 according to Wikipedia.

It's "ok" and I would have preferred a "proper" system given the choice but I'd rather have it than not having it. Being electric it does draw a fair amount of amps of course and at lower revs, when you need it most as the car is barely moving, you'll notice the lights dimming slightly when you turn the wheel, the first couple of times I thought the alternator was on the fritz .....

·
Registered
183 Posts
Sounds interesting enough, but several thoughts.

1. GT's are such small light weight cars that I honestly do not recall ever needing to put any real effort into the steering of my 73. Now that said, I also had fairly stock sized tires on it, only slightly larger than stock IIRC. Maybe with big wide front tires the steering effort is increased?

Gordo didn't need all the alligator skin and chrome either, he wanted it...

@Gordo: :cool3: :You_Rock_

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
I have one in my little 2011 Opel van which is based on the Opel Corsa C (2000-2006) and this unit is the basis for many conversions done in Europe (?). If I remember correctly there's a thread on this board somewhere ......

As with many mods it requires parts from models not sold in the US but if you have contacts in South America it was sold there until 2012 according to Wikipedia.

It's "ok" and I would have preferred a "proper" system given the choice but I'd rather have it than not having it. Being electric it does draw a fair amount of amps of course and at lower revs, when you need it most as the car is barely moving, you'll notice the lights dimming slightly when you turn the wheel, the first couple of times I thought the alternator was on the fritz .....
Goy,

I was wondering about the power issue since it had a 40A fuse. Do you need have an upgraded alternator to handle the additional load?

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Goy,

I was wondering about the power issue since it had a 40A fuse. Do you need have an upgraded alternator to handle the additional load?
I could probably have worded that a bit better, on my car it's a factory installed unit and not an aftermarket addition.

So basically I have no idea but the dip in voltage to the headlights is surprisingly noticeable on my car, not to the point where it's annoying or dangerous or anything but once you notice it you can't help noticing it, so to speak.

·
Opeler
137 Posts
EZ Pow Steering

Way to go Gordo!

I've been reading about these units for years and have seen them installed in some mighty fine cars in many great marquis.

Your Opel is in great company of the quality cars using these units. Some day ... I'll probably get one :)

·
Opel Key Master
5,288 Posts
I have a video of operating this unit. There are some issues with it being nice and tight with the bracket. Also Gordo, you are fortunate you are not using a kickdown cable as it is right in the way of the Union on the shaft that connects to the steering unit. The Yellow Blaze GT at Carlisle had this setup in it too. It does draw some power though, and in the shop when first maneuvering it has blown a fuse a time or two. I have another unit going in a Steinmetz flared car, the rosy part is holding all that crap up there while you bolt the bracket under the dash

1 - 20 of 40 Posts