Opel GT Forum banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
I love the look of that Bensport La Sarthe (for those of you that don't following racing, La Sarthe is the name of the LeMans circuit). The saying is: "If you have to ask, you can't afford it" probably applies here, so I'm not asking. (I can't afford it but I don't need someone else telling me that!)

Opel related: the photos on the website are certainly interesting (but that $%^& logo messes them up!). The steering wheels in particular are very "sweet"!

Doug

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
15,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I spent about 3 hours today loosening up my stuff and getting the main shaft out and at several points I actually had it all slid together and ready to tighten bolts up. But, then I realized that I didn't slip the wires into the bracket or I had difficulty aligning the steering wheel. So I bagged it for today and will probably get it all mechanically installed by tomorrow. No wiring, just the mechanicals installed.

Before:

Electrical wiring Wire Auto part Technology Fuel line
Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle Car Automotive exterior
Auto part Vehicle Car Engine Automotive exterior

The midway point:

Machine Cylinder
Hardware accessory Latch
Auto part Wire Electrical wiring Engine Tire
Auto part Vehicle Engine
Auto part Vehicle Automotive engine part Car Engine
Auto part Automobile pedal Automotive engine part Wire

I don't have wire coupling/disconnects on my steering column wiring, so I had to cut a slot in the old plate to get it off the wires and a slot in the new plate/mounting bracket to slide that one over the wires. I'll return it's structural integrity with a bar of metal when I bolt it all up.

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
15,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 · (Edited)
I wrapped up the install after another 3 hours. Keith's right, holding up the steering wheel, the bracket, and the motor unit simultaneously, while trying to jiggle and juggle the splined and the notched flat sided shafts into their couplings while trying to maintain steering wheel orientation and other factors can be quite a challenge. Luckily, the knee board I installed under the steering column held my steering column up for me. Then it came time to bolt the main bracket in place to simultaneously hold and center the steering column and hold and align the motor unit. Aarrgghh! The holes in the bracket don't match the spacing of the bolt holes in the car and the previous bracket!

:cussing:

Bumper Automotive exterior Auto part

Because of the design of my dash and a lack of a disconnect for my column wiring, I ended up chopping off the entire back part of the bracket that has the bolt holes that are closest to the driver and then reinstalling it as a seperate piece. While I had it off I discovered the bolt hole misalignment pictured above.

No biggee. None of the modification stuff for GT's ever fits properly and all that stuff fights you tooth and claw during installation. In general, embrace the word "modify".

Eventually it was all installed, tested, repositioned, tested again, cussed at, triple checked, redone entirely, modified, cussed at, and finally installed completely. I'll temporarily hook up the wires this weekend and give it a test drive.

Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Auto part Automotive exterior
Wire Auto part Electrical wiring Technology Vehicle

·
Registered
11,747 Posts
The next step is with personality controls with the steering,braking pedal heights....

Yuck yuck

3,721 Posts
The next step is with personality controls with the steering,braking pedal heights....

Yuck yuck
It appears that the PS unit sits very low, close to the brake pedal. My PS unit is installed higher, close to the U-joint which made more comfortable distance to the brake pedal. There is probably nothing Gordo can do about it but makes me wonder why would professional supplier designed it that way.

Attachments

·
UngerDog
1,335 Posts
I wrapped up the install after another 3 hours. Keith's right, holding up the steering wheel, the bracket, and the motor unit simultaneously, while trying to jiggle and juggle the splined and the notched flat sided shafts into their couplings while trying to maintain steering wheel orientation and other factors can be quite a challenge. Aarrgghh! :cussing:
My doctor says I should exercise more...How does the work of installing the unit compare to the amount of exercise that you would normally get from using your muscles with the stock setup? I'm 62 years old and plan on driving one of my 3 GTs a total of 1000 miles a year for the next 20 years. Please show your math for full credit. :haha:

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
15,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
My brake pedal is sitting pretty high. So far, it isn't bothering me. The car is also an automatic, so I'm not playing foot pedal whack-a-mole too much.

Most, if not all, of that extra length of shaft that you pointed out is slid inside the steering column u-joint. I suppose that some of that shaft could be chopped off if I feel the need.

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
15,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I just did my first test drive with the EPAS.

Holy Cow! It's the GREATEST thing ever!

:banana: :arms: :drive: :arms: :banana:

Actually, ditching the points for electronic ignition was the greatest thing ever, but this EPAS is a close second!

It's a totally different driving experience! Forget what they say about it only coming into play at low speeds, it plays a role at ALL speeds. I have a dinky aftermarket steering wheel and the car steers as easy as any modern car I've ever been behind the wheel of. It adds a dampening effect to that slightly primitive feeling of every defect on the road. Little touches of shimmy or wonkiness that I've experienced in every GT I've ever had are.......GONE! The car now steers as creamy smooth as the best cars I've ever driven. You can one-finger steer at all speeds!

You guys totally need to get one of these! Worth every expensive penny!

·
Registered
683 Posts
I knew you would like it Gordon, takes all the jitters out of the steering. IMO it's a must have in a GT

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
15,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 · (Edited)
Absolutely!

Not too many things you can get for our cars make a big difference, but EPAS is one of the exceptions. It's really, REALLY, great.

·
Über Genius
9,582 Posts
Absolutely!

Not too many things you can get for our cars make a big difference, but EPAS is one of the exceptions. It's, really, REALLY, great.
I saw a used system at the swap meet for $300.

I didn't buy it.

·
Registered
708 Posts
if your willing to do some fab work you can have it done very cheaply
i bought the opel corsa mk3 unit when if i bought a mk2 one i could have fitted it in the car much like above and not in the engine bay see above.

http://www.opelgt.com/forums/3b-ste...x/37194-electric-power-steering-abs-ring.html

i didn't realize, until i bought it, but the mk3 has bigger splines than the opel gt.
I still like my in engine bay fitment as it works really good for under 50 bucks.
eventually I will get rid of the ebay speed controller and make the original opel corsa speed controller work.
i have 205 50 15 tyres on the front and a gravel drive so it makes it much better at parking speeds.

·
Senior Contributor
5,084 Posts
Just bought a Saturn Vue EPAS unit with the harness plugs. I just have to buy the controller and then play with the mods until it fits nice. A little less than SciFi @ $185 and the controller is about $65, and Maybe an adapter for the splined shaft if I need it. Have to decide if I want to tackle this before Carlisle.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hi Gordon - just wondering how you ended up connecting this in the end. Did you drop the speedo connection completely or end up using the output from your dash? I was wondering if it was possible to hook this up without the speedo connection entirely if you can recall.

thx, Nick

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
15,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Everything hooked up fine and works well. The kit comes with a combination digital tach/cable drive tach adapter. I didn't use the one that came with my kit because my aftermarket digital dash cluster didn't need the cable drive output, instead I used digital tach signal generator with wire-output-only, that came with my dash and just spliced into the signal wire and ran that to the EPAS. So, two devices, EPAS and Dash Cluster both get the tachometer signals they need.

What I don't recall ever looking into is whether the signal frequency, coming from the Dakota Digital dash tach signal generator, is the same or "close enough" for the EPAS. My digital dash's tach signal sender puts out a whopping "128,000 Pulses Per Mile". Wow, SUPER accuracy! Here's the link to that:

Buuuuut....... the Dakota Digital version of the EPAS's combo signal generator,what they call a "Pass-through" generator, only puts out "an 8,000 pulse per mile" square or sine wave signal:

Pass-through Pulse Generator

Here's a pic of my EPAS "pass-through" tach signal generator:

I have no idea how many "pulses per mile" the EPAS's tach signal generator puts out. Is it 8000 or 128,000 or somewhere in between. Based on Dakota Digital's version and their similarities, I'm going to guess the EPAS adapter puts out 8000ppm. Hmmmm.......but I'm using a tach signal generator that puts out 16x800= 128,000ppm. Now as I understand it, the EPAS system is "always on", from 0-25mph, providing full assist, and then it starts to reduce the assist as you go faster than 25mph. So, let's say that 10mph is 50ppm using an 8000ppm signal generator. That same speed would output 16x50=800 using a 128,000ppm generator. Soooooo....Does my EPAS system think I'm driving 16 times faster than I actually am? Does it turn off or reduce assist prematurely, like at 5mph?

No, it performs exactly as intended: Full assist from 0-25, partial assist after that speed. "Partial Assist" is really the wrong term, it should be "On Demand Assist". At below 25mph the EPAS is more or less instantly on all the time and ready to provide all the variable assist necessary to get the rack moving. At speeds more than 25mph there's more of a delay or staggering of power assist I guess. I really don't notice much of any difference. GT's have close ratio steering and only small movement are necessary to steer in a straight line. There's not much need for power steering when going faster than 25mph.

I was wondering if it was possible to hook this up without the speedo connection entirely if you can recall.
Are you not using Opel gauges or not using a tranny with a compatible speedo gear/tach signal generator.....both? So, will the EPAS system work without plugging a digital tach generator into it? Well, it all depends on how it's wired. One would think that "Unplugged In - no signal" would be the same as "Signal Generator Plugged In, but stopped at a red light - no signal". But, maybe the tach returns some sort of signal even when you're stopped and maybe the circuitry won't turn on the EPAS at all if it doesn't see some sort of return signal. Okay, no problem, just plug the signal generator into the EPAS, don't connect it to a tranny, and stuff it behind the dash somewhere, that'll work, right? Yup, you'll have full assist at speeds up to 25mph...............and beyond. You'll have full assist all the time,.........even at 100mph! Sounds great, right? But, maybe that's not such a good thing. Maybe "on all the time" will burn out the unit or drain power or something? Maybe having full power assist at highway speed is dangerous and makes your car a death trap? I don't know, I'm not going to disconnect and unplug stuff to see what happens. That's your job. :)

·
Registered
42 Posts
I don't know, I'm not going to disconnect and unplug stuff to see what happens. That's your job. :)
Challenge accepted - but it will be a while. I'm waiting on my body back from media blasting and stupidly starting thinking about other ways to blow more cash. I stumbled back on this thread and now i'm rethinking how i approach the use of a speedo cable.

I have a t5 trans and was going to skip the cost and space requirements of a converter like this and simply use a GPS speedo from Speedhut or similar. If I do end up with this EPAS system i'll write up my results for others.

Appreciate the details!

·
Administrator
10,315 Posts
21 - 40 of 40 Posts