Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Opeler
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With a bit of research I determined that there are not less than 417 methods for installation of an electric windshield washer pump. After full and due consideration to each and every one, it was determined that #295 was the best for Viole and me. YMMV:

I started with a tank, pump and wiper arm sprayer manifold system from the local Pull & Pay. Note the tubing on the wiper arm leading to the spray nozzle:

I added a standard automotive relay from AutoZone, fastening it with the upper foot-pedal mounting screw:

I removed the yellow wire from the foot switch and connected it to the output (#87) terminal on the relay. I spliced into the purple wire on the foot switch and ran that to the relay power input (#30) terminal. From the original yellow-wire terminal on the foot switch, I ran a wire to my pump and to the switch input (#86) terminal on the relay. A ground wire from relay terminal #85 completed the wiring and the project.

The new diagram looks like this:

Works great! A momentary depression of the pedal activates the wipers for a cycle without spraying fluid on the windshield so it is still usable for demisting.

HTH someone....

vancek

·
'72 Opel GT (Sara)
2,119 Posts
My use of the foot sprayer usually shoots washer fluid over the car at some point! Cool upgrade! Thanks for posting.

·
Opeler
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No po

Viole will only ever have one PO - I'm her second and final owner! Seriously, though, this procedure is completely straight forward and documented and could very easily be reversed.

vancek

Vance
When ever you do things like that..your called the PO from hell.:cool:

·
Opeler
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Overspray

The wiper arm mounted sprayer nozzles would probably work quite well with the foot pump. Hmmm, I might just try that....

vancek

My use of the foot sprayer usually shoots washer fluid over the car at some point! Cool upgrade! Thanks for posting.

·
Registered
11,747 Posts
The wiper arm mounted sprayer nozzles would probably work quite well with the foot pump. Hmmm, I might just try that....

vancek
Vance Matt has a heavy left and right foot...:D

·
Registered
922 Posts
Is that simply a delay on relay?
I like your approach, and it seems pretty reversable...for when your grandchild inherits the car, removes your comfortable Eclipse seats, and repaints it the original color.

·
Opeler
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Delay

Nah, it's just a delay in the fluid getting through the lines by the time the wiper motor comes out of park and initiates a cycle back to park after releasing the pedal. (Folks with a heavy left foot might have trouble with that maneuver....) :) But I like the idea of a delay in the circuit! I'll have to play with that and I'd bet Radio Shack has something that'll work. It would go in the pump circuit, though, not the relay as the relay operates the wipers and the pump comes off the original foot switch.

I was planning on being buried in the car but I guess I should at least consider the possibility that it will one day be restored to it's original glory....

vancek

Is that simply a delay on relay?
I like your approach, and it seems pretty reversable...for when your grandchild inherits the car, removes your comfortable Eclipse seats, and repaints it the original color.

·
Registered
922 Posts
I was planning on being buried in the car but I guess I should at least consider the possibility that it will one day be restored to it's original glory....

vancek
I'm definitely NOT the "keep it stock" police, with total respect to those that are.:beerchug: I would keep a pristine, or rare auto in stock condition without hesitation. My electrical basketcase, multiple repair panel replaced, Bondo laden car that I purchased will be rebuilt to my specs.. I am keeping track of my Frankenstein documentation also.
Again, thanks for sharing a good idea.

·
Senior Contributor
5,052 Posts
Nice........the only thing I would do differently would be to mount the relay up inside the dash somewhere, it would make the install look a little cleaner.

·
Opeler
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I saw the up-inside-the-dash-mount technique used in method #56 and decided against it because it would take more time and effort than I wanted to expend at the time.
:)
Actually, I just picked up (from the local Pull & Pay) a small under-the-hood relay/fuse box that I plan to use for this circuit, the "Otto start" and others as they occur to me.

vancek

Nice........the only thing I would do differently would be to mount the relay up inside the dash somewhere, it would make the install look a little cleaner.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
I saw the up-inside-the-dash-mount technique used in method #56 and decided against it because it would take more time and effort than I wanted to expend at the time.
:)
Actually, I just picked up (from the local Pull & Pay) a small under-the-hood relay/fuse box that I plan to use for this circuit, the "Otto start" and others as they occur to me.
vancek
does a foot pedal activate the washer motor? I have an aftermarket kit but I'd rather keep it stock if I can figure out how to get it working:banghead:

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
Your foot pedal operates the wipers for a few swipes then shuts down, ( delay wipe) or you can hold it down and it will keep going. I removed the rotten bellows in the pedal and installed a momentary switch, with a elec. washer pump., Touch the pedal and get the wipers to wipe, push harder and the washer fluid will spray at the same time .:yup: OGTS sells a Chilton's manual for the GT that is very helpful :yup:

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Your foot pedal operates the wipers for a few swipes then shuts down, ( delay wipe) or you can hold it down and it will keep going. I removed the rotten bellows in the pedal and installed a momentary switch, with a elec. washer pump., Touch the pedal and get the wipers to wipe, push harder and the washer fluid will spray at th

e same time .:yup: OGTS sells a Chilton's manual for the GT that is very helpful :yup:

they have a Chiltons manual? i havent been able to find one of those in years. is there a switch to turn the water pump on or does the pedal activate the pump?

duh! now I get it the bulb squeezes the water( no stock pump)?

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
The book OGTS has is the OPEL GT Owners workshop Manual. Made by Brooklands Books for years 1968-1973 , this is what they carry, great book full of info. :yup:

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
The book OGTS has is the OPEL GT Owners workshop Manual. Made by Brooklands Books for years 1968-1973 , this is what they carry, great book full of info. :yup:
I think I bought that book a while back from OGTS. when I had my first gt i had a chilton manual i sure wish they :banghead:still made the opel one

·
Opeler
1,742 Posts
actually if you put a diode on the yellow wire, and add a wire coming off the foot switch, the wiper motor won't feedback to the pedal, and the original foot switch works fine as is, you don't need a relay. I do sell a kit, with an electric pump and switch with plug in diode for $45. No soldering.

·
Opeler
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
does a foot pedal activate the washer motor? I have an aftermarket kit but I'd rather keep it stock if I can figure out how to get it working:banghead:
Yes, the original switch on the original foot pedal activates the washer pump motor. The first post in this thread includes a wiring diagram and text explanation of which wires need to be moved to work with the relay...

vancek

·
Registered
922 Posts
Just another approach for an electric washer pump location. There is just enough "flat spot" room for the 5/8" hole on the bottom of the original washer bottle. Needs to mount on the clutch cable side of the reservoir. I will post a photo of it in the engine bay when I am actually done with the installation. This is a mock up with a spare bottle. wash bottle mock up.jpg

1 - 20 of 20 Posts