Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Opeler
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ladies and Gentleman I am proud to say after many months of work and definitely a long collaborated effort from many of you I am a proud owner of a running (well I might add) a 2.2L FI 73 GT. Thanks everyone for all your help. I still have a lot to do but today I was able to start it up (without a exhaust) and after turning the distributor a little it started right up. I sounded dam good without the exhaust:D . Tomorrow to the exhaust shop for the down pipe and back for a clean up and then off to have a paint job. I know most cars are named after a girl but I decided to call my car Elvis. I'm even thinking about rhinestones around the rear fender wells.:)
Changing the subject a little I had a lead today about a GT in the junk yard that was suppose to be in pretty good shape. When I got there after walking about 10 miles of strip yard field, they couldn't even find it. But I did find a 73 Manta that they didn't even know they had. Body was in to bad of shape, except for a couple of dings in the front fenders and the hood was bent. Head was gone but everything else was covered with about 50 lbs of leaves and sticks. No tranny but I did see there was a AC in their. Also seen a 1970 Kadett-B. at the body shop that was for sale. Engine was said to run but no battery. Interior needs lots of work and a decent amount of rust on the outside but definitely doable. The shop owner said the guy who owns it is desperate for money. Probably can get for around a hundred or so.

Arnold

· Manta Maniac
1,386 Posts
Did someone say Manta?......

Hey Arnold,
Congratulations on resurrecting Elvis....
I don't suppose that Manta you found is anywhere near St Louis?
:D

· Senior Contributor
5,199 Posts
Al,
Congrats!!!!:D :D , I sure hope mine does as well, but I am no where near ready. I'll post here when it's running---to be sure. Stay in touch through the forum when you get to German town.

535 Posts
Congratulations on your running GT. I hope you have a great sense of accomplishment!

If you recall, what color was the interior on the '73 Manta in the junkyard, and in what kind of shape were the front door panels and seats?

"Thank you, thank you very much..."
-Jeff W
'75 Manta
'74 Manta parts car
'73 Manta

· Opeler
127 Posts
I call my GT 'Rising Sun'....
It's the name of the Elvis horse .

I'm a great Elvis fan and I saw him in concert THIS YEAR in Brussels (Belgium).
It was in the biggest concert hall of Belgium (Foret National) and there were thousands of people of every generation.
It was like a dream for my family and me......
Ok,..he was on screen and his group played live......

I'VE SEEN ELVIS IN CONCERT.....YESSSSSSSSSSSS !!!!!

· Opeler
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Jeff M. Still have a lot of work to be done. Do you have the specs for the linkage modification. I searched the forums but didn't find anything.
Jeff W. I'm not sure but the outside was dark blue and the inside seats I believe was black. Don't remember the shape of the seats. The Salvage yard is called Poor Boys. Here is the number: 573-336-4957

Arnold

· Senior Contributor
5,199 Posts
I took more pictures of the linkage, I will try to put the dimensions on tonight and post a picture and/or email it to you.

· Senior Contributor
5,199 Posts
Al,
Check your email, I sent you the full size version of these pictures.

Attachments

· Opeler
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Jeff. One more step to getting that driving experience I barely remember and been hearing so much about. I drove one once in 1974. I remember it belonged to my friends dad. He let me drive it and I lost a race at a intersection to.....I don't even remember what kind of car but I remember the GT. I can feel the opelitist stronger. I think I better go to a meeting:) or maybe this is the meeting place...HI MY NAME IS ARNOLD AND I'M A OPELHOLIC:eek:

Arnold

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.