Opel GT Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Build a dream and drive
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Someone would want tbose pistons if you are just pulling them.
No reason to toss good parts in the scrap bin. The crankshaft has more life in it also.
No scrap bin lol. Thats why I wanted to clean this poor thing up. I was hoping there were good reusable parts for anyone interested. I think the rods and pistons might be spoken for but the crank does look cleaned up. Ill add some more pics after I finish with Honey-dos

·
Über Genius
9,093 Posts
No scrap bin lol. Thats why I wanted to clean this poor thing up. I was hoping there were good reusable parts for anyone interested. I think the rods and pistons might be spoken for but the crank does look cleaned up. Ill add some more pics after I finish with Honey-dos
I'm glad to hear it.
Back about 10 years ago (damn I'm old), I had a GT I bought on a whim. Before I had blue.
My younger son begged me for it but it needed a head. When I took it apart I found that the piston walls were scored.
One of the generous Opelers from this forum sent me a set of .030 pistons pulled from a running motor. That engine has over 50K miles on it now.

That's why I mentioned the pistons.
I don't need them. Someone else might, just to keep another Opel on the road.

Reactions: Josh72

·
Build a dream and drive
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
My biggest question is the oil pan... Were aluminum facotry oil pans a thing? Common or aftermarket??

·
Super Moderator
13,624 Posts

·
Über Genius
9,093 Posts
Aluminum pans and 2.4 cranks don't mix.

·
Opel Rallier since 1977
1,961 Posts
If anyone re-uses the pistons, they need to check the ring grooves for corrosion and wear (ring side clearance); with the pistons being stuck, some moisture in the ring grooves is possible.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I have a good head I will give you...good valves and it is complete...only problem is that it is a 3 bearing head......most folks like a 4 bearing head...but it does not really matter, you can still use a 4 bearing cam in a 3 bearing head...no problem...it's just an extra head... I live in Camarillo Ca. let me know if you want it...

·
Build a dream and drive
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Well it was a couple of days later than I had hoped but I finally had a nice trip up to Opel Gt Source today. Gil and I had a great visit and he even had a little surprise for me. Instead of doing so much machine work to build the 1.9, he had a very nice 2.4 block for my build.

After we gathered parts we headed down the hill to Bell and Gaines in Modesto, Ca. That place is a hotrodders DREAM!! Kevin and Bobby were really knowledgeable and I am absolutely certain they will build the engine I have drooled about for 2 decades better than I ever hoped for.

I also decided to go a different route for fuel delivery so I have 2 Irmscher short manifolds, 2 40DCOE-2 carbs and a new thermostat housing up for grabs. Any interested party can PM me and Ill put an ad in the classified section.

So without further Adu, here are my new goodies. Enjoy...

·
Build a dream and drive
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I have a good head I will give you...good valves and it is complete...only problem is that it is a 3 bearing head......most folks like a 4 bearing head...but it does not really matter, you can still use a 4 bearing cam in a 3 bearing head...no problem...it's just an extra head... I live in Camarillo Ca. let me know if you want it...
Thank you I really appreciate it. Ill PM you

·
Build a dream and drive
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Im also adding a few updated pics of the body work on my main build thread if anyone is following that thread

·
Non Civilian
2,087 Posts
Good choice. Have fun with the build.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts