Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
15,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This thread is about various options to add lighting to your engine compartment. Everything from convenience lighting to aid roadside repairs to disco balls and laser light shows.

My current interest in this topic is for the purpose of adding blingy LED/laser/etc. lighting, so that I can hang out with the tuner dudes and also so that folks can see my shiny stuff at evening cruise-ins and stuff. The simplest way to go would be to buy some LED rope lighting and stuff it under the lip of the hood opening overhang. But, aiming the light from cheap rope lighting is kind of vague, so I was wondering if you guys, especially you younger Opelers, might know of lighting ideas that are cooler or more high tech.

On the other topic of convenience lighting, some sort of general purpose underhood light attached to a retractable cord would be handy. I had something like that in my Jeep Cherokees. Any ideas or eBay finds?

:thinking:

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
This thread is about various options to add lighting to your engine compartment. Everything from convenience lighting to aid roadside repairs to disco balls and laser light shows.

My current interest in this topic is for the purpose of adding blingy <SNIP> bling is NOT my thing .:no: .:lmao:

On the other topic of convenience lighting, some sort of general purpose underhood light attached to a retractable cord would be handy. I had something like that in my Jeep Cherokees. Any ideas or eBay finds?

Have you seen this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BntmrLIu2g
Eastwood Professional Folding LED Light

HTH -- Doug

·
Über Genius
9,354 Posts

My current interest in this topic is for the purpose of adding blingy LED/laser/etc. lighting, so that I can hang out with the tuner dudes and also so that folks can see my shiny stuff at evening cruise-ins and stuff. The simplest way to go would be to buy some LED rope lighting and stuff it under the lip of the hood opening overhang. But, aiming the light from cheap rope lighting is kind of vague, so I was wondering if you guys, especially you younger Opelers, might know of lighting ideas that are cooler or more high tech.

I'm currently working on a small project, specifically, with you in mind.
I'll share more later this evening.

·
Über Genius
9,354 Posts
So, as promised, here is what I'm working on.

I have a need to make some LED strip lighting, encased in an acrylic tube, for a work project.
At work I only need white LEDS in the tube but thought I can just as easily do it with RGB LEDs.
The process is as follows. I mount the led strip to a 1/4" square acrylic rod. Then I slide the assembly into a 1/2 OD tube (for single color LEDs) or a 5/8" tube (for RGB LEDs). Then I fill the tube with liquid acrylic resin and let cure.

I can make these at any length up to 6 feet long.

I have a plan for the LED underbody lighting that I will wire up after I build them for my GT but the basic concept is that the underbody lights will be OFF whenever the car is in operation but will come on when the ignition is shut off. They will run from a completely isolated battery that won't drain the car battery. That battery will power the underbody lights til it dies. Then when the car is started it will charge again. I have yet to determine how effective the charge cycle will be and which battery to use but that's the concept.

So, Gordon, the sky is the limit.

Reactions: The Scifi Guy

·
Opeler
1,131 Posts

Yes! My 90 Cherokee has a work light attached to the underside of the hood (it's the under hood light) via a retractable electrical cord and that damned thing can reach all the way around the jeep, no shortage of cord for sure. BUT, when the retract spring goes to hell, they become a nuisance and a real pain in the ass. Personally I would think if your gonna go for convenience/work lighting, some sort of rechargeable flashlight/lantern that has a spot built into your vehicle (back "spare tire" area, or maybe a cubby built under the rear "seat" deck panel, or.....well you get the picture) so that when you put the light away it is automatically recharged and always available when you need it. I still have the whole retracting light assembly from my 90 Cherokee (I still have the Cherokee, just have the light out of it) had thought about putting it in my Dart. But for simplicity a rechargeable lantern/flashlight has proven much more practical.

:cool:Just my nickel.

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
15,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So, as promised, here is what I'm working on.

I have a need to make some LED strip lighting, encased in an acrylic tube, for a work project.

I can make these at any length up to 6 feet long.

I have a plan for the LED underbody lighting
Sign me up!

I've got to light up my MacDonalds front suspension!

:veryhappy

I have that battery from my Power Wheels Baby Baron project, it'll run my inflatable Snoopy thing for a week straight. When it's drained I can just plug it into the wall, no charger(I guess it's built into the plug).

·
Registered
638 Posts
Don't know about the GT but the Manta came with a factory option to add under hood light. It worked well on the side of the hwy and was a switched circut. Ron

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
FWIW - my wife had a 1976 Mercedes 450SLC (which we bought in 1986). That car had a rechargeable battery flashlight built into the glove box. Of course, rechargeable batteries weren't too good in those days and it hardly ever worked by the time we got the car, but you may like that concept in addition to the under hood lighting. Hey, you even have a GLOVEBOX! :yup:

Doug

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
15,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Since I've turned into a total nut job with all the fun I'm having with alternate lighting in my car, I went off on the tangent of a related blingy car lighting concept: Under ther car lighting. Knowing nothing about the subject and checking Ebay for what sorts of lighting are available, I came across "COB LED lights".

Here's an article about different LED technologies:

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/comparison-differences-between-led-technologies-dip-vs-doris-li

Here's a typical ad for a bunch of them(CHEAP!) in white on Ebay(or you can look for others by searching "COB LED light"):

6x White Car COB LED Light Waterproof DC 12V High Luminance DRL Fog Driving Lamp

Here's a pic of an amber one:

s-l5006EO0BSKY.jpg

Holy Cow they're cheap! $10 after shipping for 6 white ones. You could line your engine compartment with them for the cost of a decent hoagie! The various things I've read say that they're very bright and tend not to cast multiple sharp shadows like SMD-type LED's.

Howsabout that under the car lighting idea? For $30 I could put 18 of'em under my car! Holy Canoli! The whole lower perimeter of my car has body kit stuff sticking down(air dam, side skirts, tail panel), forming all sorts of convenient pockets and places to glue or drill/mount and tuck away various lighting ideas.

Oh man, my mouse is wandering in the direction of the "BUY NOW" button.............!

:yup:

·
Über Genius
9,354 Posts
Since I've turned into a total nut job with all the fun I'm having with alternate lighting in my car, I went off on the tangent of a related blingy car lighting concept: Under ther car lighting. Knowing nothing about the subject and checking Ebay for what sorts of lighting are available, I came across "COB LED lights".

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/comparison-differences-between-led-technologies-dip-vs-doris-li

Here's a typical ad for a bunch of them(CHEAP!) in white on Ebay(or you can look for others by searching "COB LED light"):

6x White Car COB LED Light Waterproof DC 12V High Luminance DRL Fog Driving Lamp

View attachment 296242

Holy Cow they're cheap! $10 after shipping for 6 white ones. You could line your engine compartment with them for the cost of a decent hoagie! The various things I've read say that they're very bright and tend not to cast multiple sharp shadows like SMD-type LED's.

Howsabout that under the car lighting idea? For $30 I could put 18 of'em under my car! Holy Canoli! The whole lower perimeter of my car has body kit stuff sticking down(air dam, side skirts, tail panel), forming all sorts of convenient pockets and places to glue or drill/mount and tuck away various lighting ideas.

Oh man, my mouse is wandering in the direction of the "BUY NOW" button.............!

Great deal. I can never compete with those price for what I'm working on. Make sure they are weatherproof. I learned the hard way when I put year-round lights on my house. After the first couple months they had to be taken down.

·
Opeler
343 Posts
Am I right in thinking that the Opel GT did come with an under hood light, I have seen European cars with this small light up where the washer pipe goes to the jets on the underside of the bonnet?

·
Über Genius
9,354 Posts
Am I right in thinking that the Opel GT did come with an under hood light, I have seen European cars with this small light up where the washer pipe goes to the jets on the underside of the bonnet?
Not in the US

·
Premium Member
1,744 Posts

View attachment 296242

Gordon, these look interesting for the engine compartment, I clicked your link, but it didn't say how many lumens they are. I don't expect a lumen count, but are they bright enough under the hood to see what you are doing?

Bob

·
Über Genius
9,354 Posts
Gordon, these look interesting for the engine compartment, I clicked your link, but it didn't say how many lumens they are. I don't expect a lumen count, but are they bright enough under the hood to see what you are doing?

Bob
I won't answer for Gordon but I will say that I'll let everyone know how good these are when my set arrives from China.

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
15,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
I continued researching them after I made my post and discovered that you have to read closely. Some are 2 watt and others are 6 watt. As near as I could tell, the 2 watt ones put out about 150 lumens and the 6 watt ones put out around 500 lumens. There are also 2 sizes: 14cm and 17cm. Keep all that in mind if deciding on these. The white ones seem to be much cheaper than the colored ones. Yellow/orange/amber all appear to mean the same color. I've chosen amber because I already have the amber inside the car.

I bought TWENTY of them! About $30 for 5 sets of 4 including shipping from this ad:

4x Amber/Yellow 17CM COB 6W LED Strip Daytime Running DRL Light Waterproof #2 | eBay

I didn't want to run short in case I go really nuts, plus having so many gives me lots of options.

But then I did the math:

Amps = Watts/Volts

20 @ 6 watts = 120 watts

120 watts/12 Volts = TEN amps ! ! !

Holy Cow!

I'll definitely be needing to carry a spare battery or other power source to juice them all up when I'm parked. My alternator and new electrical system could handle the load just fine with the engine running, but it's illegal in Jersey to drive around with under-the-car lights on, so these would only get turned on at car gatherings/cruises in the evening when I'll be parked. All last year I only went to one event where I could show my lighting off and that was indoors at a brewery. My early work hours have me hittin' the hay by 9pm every night, so I don't do much evening stuff in general. In the Summer it doesn't get dark until 9pm. So, what I'm saying is, I'll hardly ever use them. They'll just be another fun electrical gizmo for me to install and I'll wow a few people with them once in a while.

:veryhappy

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
From the eBay writeup (near the bottom of the page):

2X 17cm LED COB 84 Chip Pure White Car Auto Driving DRL Daytime Running Lights Lamp Waterproof Bar Strip DC12V

Specifications:

Voltage: DC12V
Power: 6W each one actually equal 5W
Lumen: 336LM
Light Color : Pure white: 7000-8000K
Degree: 180°
Size:170*17mm

From a Google search (Convert lumens to candlepower)
...To determine the candlepower, divide the lumen value by 12.57.
Ex: ... a light with 336 lumens will equal about 27 candlepower.

Now, how bright is a candlepower? You are on your own!

Doug

1 - 20 of 50 Posts