Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've misplaced the two metal spacers that sit on the engine crossmember (1.9l)

I can't find much mention of them anywhere and this is the only picture of the area in the FSM. I assume they're stock and not simply a shim put in by the PO.

Does anyone know the thickness? I'm guessing about 1/8" from memory.

I can work out something that fits when I start putting things back together, but for once in my life I'd prefer to avoid my Ikea experiences and have everything ready for the big rebuild :)

Attachments

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
15,468 Posts
I have never used those spacers during any of my numerous engine removals and reinstallations. Frankly, I don't even remember seeing them.

·
Opeler
3,721 Posts
Those shims are 3 mm thick. They are mounted on each side on the most inner crossmember bolt. They are filling the gap where the factory sway bar mounts were installed. When the sway bar was not installed in the factory, those shims were used instead.

·
Opeler
873 Posts
I wonder if the lack of those spacers, is the reason that my new stainless exhaust is up against the underside of my car, instead of floating just below it?

·
Über Genius
9,463 Posts
1/8 works just fine as a replacement.

·
Opeler
1,520 Posts
American cars in the past used shims about like this on the assembly line to shim out the fenders and to adjust the camber on the A-arm front suspensions. Instead of a hole in the center, they had a slot cut in from one side so the shim could be inserted without removing the bolt. Maybe something like that could be used in place of a lost original.

·
Über Genius
9,463 Posts
American cars in the past used shims about like this on the assembly line to shim out the fenders and to adjust the camber on the A-arm front suspensions. Instead of a hole in the center, they had a slot cut in from one side so the shim could be inserted without removing the bolt. Maybe something like that could be used in place of a lost original.
I have some of those available at my local hardware store. They're also available on Ebay all the time.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks all - super helpful history and information on what and why this is.

I've got plenty of 1/8" welding coupons lying around I can cut to the appropriate shape when the time comes.

Cheers,
Nick

1 - 8 of 8 Posts