Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Vendor
2,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got home from work and decided to take "baby boo" out for a romp. She started up normally (electric choke, 32/36 weber) and was idling normally (after kicking down the choke) when she suddenly cuts off (no sputtering or change in idle speed-just stopped like someone turned off the ignition. :eek: "Oh well, (I sez to myself), it is getting a little cooler. Maybe I didn't let it run on full choke long enough" Start the car again, leaving it at full choke, and again she bails out after about 30 seconds. It re-starts easily, idles nomally, and cuts out again after less than a minute. By now, it's getting late, and I don't have time to pop the hood. Any suggestions. I should say that the car has run like a race horse all summer, so this is pretty unexpected. New fuel filter since about a month ago. Maybe electrical?

·
1450 Seeker...
613 Posts
many many times I have fixed "carb/fuel" problems by fixing something in the ignition.

If you have points, start there, a marginal set of points will seem to run much better at higher RPM's. If you have electronic ignition, make sure the battery is fully charged, the alternator is charging.

you may need to feather the gas during the transition from choke to open this time of year

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Have to agree that it sounds more like a points problem unless you have electronic ignition and if you don't - you should. I fought the same problem for a year until I changed over to a Pertronix. Luv it-Luv it- Luv it!! :cool:

·
Vendor
2,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I should have mentioned that I have an electronic ignition (Petronix) Voltage meter seems to read properly when the car is running, although I wouldn't be too surprised if the battery is on the home stretch. Are the symptoms I described consistent with a problem in the Petronix system? This is the first car I've had so equipped.
Thanks, Ron in Indy

1 - 4 of 4 Posts