Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
engine codes

anyone have know the engine codes for 70 gts?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
nope, didn't come p with anything, unless you are talking about the rest of the net

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
argh

I just want to know what engine I have. I that too much to ask?

·
Opel fan
357 Posts
What do you mean what kind of engine? High compressin, low compression, 1.9L, 1.1L, 2.4L, 2.2L, 2.0L, what year it was made, is it original? The head may give clues if it is the original head- 3 or 4 cam bearings, the block should start out with 19S for the 1.9L, hard to mistake the 1.1L with its dual carbs. I think the larger displacement blocks start out with their displacement like the 1.9L but I am not sure, I have not seen one but I know some guys on this forum have the larger engines. HTH I just noticed on your profile you have a 76 GT coupe?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
doh

when I bought it i was about to move from dallas to lawrence.ks and didn't really look at the title, the guy said it was a 76 but the title says 70. guess I should change that on my profile. I saw a pic of what the guy said was a 2.0 and it looks exactly like mine from the drivers side, he didn't have a pic of the pass side

·
Opel fan
357 Posts
I believe that all the blocks look the same except the 1.1L. Surely someone here with a factory block that's not 1.9L can help clarify wether or not the engine ID has any id for displacement? All I can say for sure is that the 1.9L start out with 19XXXXXXXXX

·
Administrator
10,273 Posts
There is a pad in the center, drivers side of the block that has the engine number on it. If it starts with 19S it is a 1.9.

'69 and early '70's had 2 engines available a 1.1 liter and a 1.9 liter. GT's made after mid-1970 only came with a 1.9 that over the years was "de-tuned" to meet emission requirements.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.