Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· OPEL-LESS!!!
2,111 Posts
"By the same token, one of those Mantas (a 1974) also had a factory-installed 1.9S block (not US) with flat-top pistons. But the head had hydraulic lifters. I bought that car from the original owner back in 1986 with 63K on it. Never had engine work on it. So it appears Opel had no rhyme or reason when it came to numbers."

that was from rallybobs post in this thread

my 72 manta rallye has a block that startes with 19S, not 19US like most of my engines. the head is a 71 head with hydraulics, altho i know that has already been changed, i've yet to search for numbers on the block. does this mean its a european block, and being designated by the S give a small change of having flat tops in a 1972 US car?

· OPEL-LESS!!!
2,111 Posts
71 GT with a 19S block, asterik and both ends of the engine number fitted with low compression pistons, car was made 9-70, all 70 casting dates, but titled as 71.

the manta has a 19S block with asteriks and both ends of engine number, dont know if its origional engine but i believe it to be, not sure of its pistons.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.