Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While filling the radiator up with coolant for the first time since I got the car (3 weeks) I've notice that there was coolant coming out from the seal below the number 4 spark plug :mad: so....How bad is this? can it be fix with out taking the engine out?......HELP!!!

·
Senior Contributor
540 Posts
sounds to me like you need to replace your head gasket.. correct me if im wrong but doesnt that what happens when a "coolant jacket" is messed up on the gasket? usaully you have lots of white smoke coming out of the exhaust and the engine compartment. dont drive it like this until you are for sure, you dont want a cracked head, then your talking big bucks...

by the way if your head gasket needs replaced your engine will usually run like crap..
and it can be fixed with out taking the engine out..
just my 2 cents.. hth

·
Administrator
10,230 Posts
Al Olmo said:
... I've notice that there was coolant coming out from the seal below the number 4 spark plug
If it is a round cup about an inch or so in diameter that is leaking, that is an expansion or "freeze plug". They do corrode and leak. You can pry it out by drilling a hole and screwing in a sheet metal screw. Then use a small pry bar to pull the plug out. Gil has them and many parts suppliers will if you get the proper size.

If it is coming out of the thin flat gasket just under the spark plug. Then it is a head gasket like Willy said.

·
Super Moderator
5,920 Posts
If it is coming from the frost plug as Gary suggests (and I have posted a photo below), you will have to drain your coolant and remove and replace the leaking frost plug. They are 22 mm or 7/8 inch (either will work) and can be found at any decent engine machine shop (or even NAPA or many auto supply stores). Most are galvanized steel, but Gil also sells a brass plug. I have always used the steel versions. Just drive the old plug in the middle with a punch to dent the inside in-wards. That loosens the plug, so then I usually drive a small chisel or punch though it and then pry it out. Clean the hole well to remove any scale or rust. Install the new plug by smearing a light coating of sealant around its outer edge and drive it in place using a socket just a bit smaller than the outer diameter. You want to hit it along the edge, not the centre, or you will loosen the plug as you install it.

HTH

Attachments

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This is great :p I'm very relieved, I'll be calling Gill or Dennis monday mornig and get it taking care of. As far as I know the car has not run in about 5 years, and I'm getting very close to fire it up so this is just another obstacle to jump, I'll keep you posted.
Again thanks so much.
PS. I'll be posting some pictures next week.

·
587 Posts
"......If it is coming from the frost plug as Gary suggests (and I have posted a photo below), you will have to drain your coolant and remove and replace the leaking frost plug. They are 22 mm or 3/4 inch (either will work) and can be found at any decent engine machine shop (or even NAPA or many auto supply stores)......"
----------------------------------

Keith,

3/4 = 19mm and 22mm is almost 7/8 So either won't work. It's one OR the other.

I haven't replaced these, so I don't know the correct size. Gil will sell the correct ones but a local parts shop would need to know the correct size.

~ Tom

·
Super Moderator
5,920 Posts
Whoops, 7/8" or 22 mm. I have both, tried both, and both work. Damn mental illness....

·
1000 Post Club
1,247 Posts
Install the new plug by smearing a light coating of sealant around its outer edge and drive it in place using a socket just a bit smaller than the outer diameter.
What type of 'sealant' should be used for this?

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
Sealants

Almost anything except RTV - PTFE pipe sealant is good and almost any type of Loctite - if you happen to have it. Also Gasket shelac is often used. If all else fails old, thick paint will do the job!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts