Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
any tips for rebuilding a stock 1.9 with 9:1 pistons? besides the obvious such as checking clearances, prelube, correct torque specs/procedures? thanks in advance for any help i'll be taking this project on probably this weekend as i'm ordering my parts tomarrow.

·
Opeler
231 Posts
As my old auto teacher always said. Constant double checking and cleaning is the life of a rebuilt engine. Engines don't like dirt. Measure everything 2 times then clean it again.

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ya you were lucky, you got to take shop class in high shcool!!!. wish our school had that. yep i rebuilt one motor and told dad to get the h*** away from me and let me do it on my own. it was a SBC 327 built to stock specs. just for the 51 pakcard i got and we jump started on the engine stand and jonny rigged a live oil pressure guage on it. no leaks, and it carried 55 pounds of oil pressure, after the rockers were adjusted it didnt make any noise so i'm confident that i can do this motor ok. it is german tho and i dont know if theres any tricks to these motors as this is the first foriegn car i would even touch, i hate japanese cars and alot of the european cars because people make way too big of a deal about them and over estimate their capabilities. the Opel is ok since nobody know what it is tho right fellas?;)

·
Senior Contributor
903 Posts
OGTS has a great engine assembly sheet. It has most torque values and most importantly, it tells you all the little secrets that will keep the engine from leaking. It also has the oil pump gasket warning that not everyone knows about...

-Travis

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ya i was just there looking for that only a matter of minutes ago. i could only find how to sumerize and winterize your opel subjects. i went under the heading of "tips". i thought i'd look for it instead of bothering somebody else, i feel i've done a fair share of that on this site. seems like if you cleaned surfaces well and even put a gasket in you'd be ok.

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
my book dont say anything about special tips or precedures for the oil pump gasket, google had nothing, still can't find it on OGTS, travis if your listening, HELP!!! me and willis that would be.

·
648 Posts
Jared,

One tip I'd give you is pay special attention to the cam setting. It gets confusing because when you set the cam marks as the book says, you are really on #4 TDC, not #1, even though both 1 & 4 are at the top. You have to remember to rotate the crank a full turn to get #1 TDC before you install the distributor. If not, it will be 180 deg off. Also, it really pays to make a TDC timing mark on the crank pulley, while you have it apart. The flywheel mark is very hard to see and use, and according to several posts by the Wise Ones, it can be way off to boot.

Bestus,
James
70GT w/145 miles on 2.0

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i understand you all clear, just one question. how would you make a "pointer' or a needle? the mark does no good if you dont have something to reference it to right?

·
587 Posts
Your timing cover should have 4 slash marks on it, 2 short, 1 long, and another short. find TDC and file a little notch so it lines up with the long slash. Then look back at the flywheel "BB" timing mark. You should be very close if not "right on" that mark. As mentioned the flywheel mark is not always correct & may be a few degrees off.

Tom C

·
Opeler
54 Posts
willis said:
What is the oil pump gasket warning?
Maybe that has something to do with the thing I encountered a couple of days ago. I had a rebuilt engine where I just had poured oil and was going to test if the oil pressure goes up when I use the oil pump with a modified distributor shaft and a power drill. I was rather surprised when I noticed the oil pump gears couldn't be turned at all... Problem was this:
The oil pump gears should extrude 0.1mm from their housing. Because I couldn't have find original gasket for oil pump, I cut one from oil-gasket paper that is about 0.1mm thick. However, the original one is 0.2mm thick so there should be also 0.1mm clearance. Stupid me.
To make things more complicated, Opel didn't use any oil pump paper gasket at all with some (newer?) CIHs (I yesterday spoke with an authorized Opel mechanic about this) and also oil pump gears that are 0.2mm longer than the standard ones are available. I'm not sure why. In some cases, when oil pump gears for some reason extrudes more than 0.1mm, there might be reason to use two gaskets to achieve the proper clearance.
There are also differences with timing chain covers. Some have 'overpressure valve' (?) in them and a flat piece of metal as oil pump cover, some have that valve integrated into that cover. If the engine is tuned it might be a good idea to use a Diesel CIH oil pump cover (made of steel instead of aluminum) for higher oil pressure. It might also be worth checking if the spring of 'overpressure valve' isn't completely dead.

Please correct if I'm wrong with something! I've built only one CIH (and it has not been even started yet). :)

·
Senior Contributor
903 Posts
greensmurf20 said:
my book dont say anything about special tips or precedures for the oil pump gasket, google had nothing, still can't find it on OGTS, travis if your listening, HELP!!! me and willis that would be.
The oil pump gasket that comes with the Fel-Pro gasket sets and maybe others is too thick and will lower your oil pressure. OGTS sells the right gasket. The next time you order something from OGTS you should ask for the engine assembly sheet.

-Travis

·
Opel Key Master
5,232 Posts
Oil Pumps

I found a NOS oil pump gear that was stamped .002 which I measured and was oversized. This was the drive pump and it also had an oversized shaft. Wouldn't fit. Was this a part of a kit to machine the original timing cover? I actually used the gear by knocking out the oversized shaft and using it as the other pump gear. Increased oil pressure, I say it groved the housing though. I have some old Opel oil pump gaskets and they are not much difference in thickness than the FelPro ones. GT source says they have some thin green gaskets. Probably best to use those.

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
wow! lots of great info in the last couple of posts since i have last been online. gasket thickness is one thing i know i would not have thought about and oil pressure has been a main problem with my GT. and the cooling system because of old clamps breaking for no apparent reason, i got sick of it and changed every single clamp. has anybody ever tried this: getting the timing chain cover surfaced so that you can still use stock gears and not have to buy new ones and there for making up for wear in the bottom of the gears/plate. this was an idea that me and the old man came up with a while back when i had the first motor in my car.

·
Senior Contributor
499 Posts
The book says the ones marked with the 02 are differant. It is not here now but I rember looking at that at the machine shop and we checked for the 02...

will bring the book home tommorow. This thread has been very helpful to me cause I am at the stage where I am marking things. thanks for the tips!!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts