Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in initial stages of doing a 1.9-2.4 Legere conversion. My machinist asked if I considered any other engine swaps. I asked him what he had in mind and he suggested a 4 cylinder Mercmarine engine which is actually a 3 liter version of the old ChevyII 4 cylinder (153 cu in). He said parts and transmission applications would be numerous.
I still will be doing the Opel conversion but thought his suggestion may have some merit ANY thoughts????

·
451 Posts
Most of these marine engines turn the wrong direction (unless you like to go really fast in reverse). The Fiero guys picked up on this fact a long time ago. I believe the marine engine is based on the aluminum "Super Duty" 2.5L engine used in the Fiero Indy pace car.

I have heard that with some machine work they can be made to run in the opposite direction, but that most people find it financially unfeasable.

Nathan Acree
Albuquerque New Mexico

·
Opeler
23 Posts
Just a bit off topic, a friend put a marine 350 into an S 10 blazer, with the stock trans, he was scared to put it into 5 th with high rpms lol, however he did the work for the better mpg and quick response, and that it had, so it can be done, maybe just not with that engine. :rolleyes:

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
Racing Motor!

The Chevy II four cylinder was used in Midget Car racing very successfully some years ago so there should be a few bits of speed equipment and some knowledge about hi-performance floating about. That was the 153 CID 4.00" bore by 3.00" stroke motors - the 3.60" stroke from the Merc 180 CID motor looks interesting .....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.