Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 70 GT with a locked up motor and I was wondering if anyone knew of a fairly easy engine/trans swap. I would also like to add A/C to this car. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thx.

·
Senior Contributor
730 Posts
Hmmm....being on the coast, I'd think there would be alot of opels that were junk cause the kids didn't want a hand-me-down. The engines are pretty durable. Just my 2c's.

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Personally, even though I'm doing a V-6/T-5 swap on my 72 GT, stick with an Opel engine, up to a 2.4 liter with a Getrag 5-speed. It's an easy drop in assembly and from what is put out on the list here, has ample power to move you down the road at a fair rate of speed. Do a search in the forums section and you'll find a lot of info. I've been working on my swap for over a year and still not complete, luckily I have 3 other sets of wheels to drive around. JMTCW.

Ron

·
Super Moderator
5,886 Posts
drummertom,

Welcome to our site. I moved this thread to the "Engine Swap Forum", where the best minds in Opel-dom have discussed this topic extensively.

As for AC in a GT, you either need to find an existing car that is suitable as a donor (fat chance) or find a full stock set second-hand, which includes the condenser, evaporator and fan (which sits in the luggage area), the tunnel console with cooling vents, and a compressor (fatter chance!). There has been some discussion on aftermarket AC kits, but to date, I haven't heard of a single successful install.

·
Super Moderator
5,298 Posts
kwilford said:
drummertom,

Welcome to our site. I moved this thread to the "Engine Swap Forum", where the best minds in Opel-dom have discussed this topic extensively.

As for AC in a GT, you either need to find an existing car that is suitable as a donor (fat chance) or find a full stock set second-hand, which includes the condenser, evaporator and fan (which sits in the luggage area), the tunnel console with cooling vents, and a compressor (fatter chance!). There has been some discussion on aftermarket AC kits, but to date, I haven't heard of a single successful install.
Actually, if you're staying "stock", the compressor is THE most common GM (Frigidaire) A-6 type, but the original engine mounting brackets AND the IN/OUT hose adapter that mounts on the back of the compressor are a "BITCH" to find!

:(

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Hey Otto, I have the original GM rotary compressor and mounting brackets that came on my 72 GT, with the idler also. Is it possible that repo parts can be made up if I can supply the original parts? I know there's been a fair amount of interest in putting AC on the cars. Aside from some small pieces on the rear package unit that broke because they got brittle, I have a complete original AC system, minus the console outlet. Would that help? I'm putting a new compressor on the V-6 and converting the rest of the system to R-134, but I'm using the dehydrator, condensor, and rear unit from the original setup.

Ron

1 - 6 of 6 Posts