Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Engine Swaps

Hey, I'm new to this site. I'm 19 and I'm from Winnipeg, Canada. I have a 72 opel GT and I am really interested in restoring it. I was considering doing an engine swap as well. I was looking at putting a 2.4 L maximum in it, any info on engine swaps, prices and specs would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
For restoration parts and engine upgrades check out www.opelgtsource.com, they have an on line catalog with prices on almost anything Opel related. To find out how to do what you want, run a search on this site for engine upgrades or swaps and restoration, or just go to the forums and scroll down to the category you want to find out about. With over 5 million posts on this site someone has asked the question and got the answer or answers from a whole bunch of folks who have been there, done that. If you can't find the answer, just post the question and someone will be more than glad to answer your question. HTH.

·
Super Moderator
5,924 Posts
Welcome to the site. I moved this thread to the "Engine Swap Forum", which has a multitude of information in it. Depending on your skills, wants, and wealth (or the willingness to create wealth, and then part with it), you can:
1) Upgrade your existing 1.9 litre engine. For a grand or two (Canadian, eh!) or so, properly spent, you can end up with up to 120 HP or so by boring it out to 2 litres, with High Compression pistons (Chevy 265 or Opel 2.0 flat tops), a more aggressive cam, a decent Weber carb, and a bit of intake and head work. Quite an upgrade compared to the stock 77 HP (they never had the advertised 92 HP, post 1970)
2) Go crazy, and do up to a 2.4 conversion of the engine you have, by stroking, boring, and do the head with bigger valves, higher lift/longer duration cam, roller rockers, dual side draft Webers, blah blah blah. You can get up to 150 HP (maybe more), for about $2 to $3k CAD. But make sure you budget the money for a 5 speed Getrag, which will run you $1000 to $1800 CAD from Gil at OGTS (depending on how much you do yourself). Oh, and expect to change out the differential if you get north of 150 HP, unless you are VERY gentle.
3) Swap out the stock engine to a 2.2 or 2.4 later-model Opel engine from OGTS (and of course, the Getrag). Better overall performance with less guesswork, and you can get either "modern" electronic fuel injection (better overall runnability) or stay carburetted (better peak performance). This will get you a very reliable 150 HP, or more if you want to "tune" it up. You will have to check with OGTS, but I think you can get a decent engine for about $3500 CAD.
4) Swap out to a 4 cylinder from another make, such as the Nissan that Dan from Regina is doing, or some other Nissan/Toyota/Mazda/BMW (why hasn't anyone done a BMW swap into a GT?) rear wheel drive engine. You will need to find an engine that fits (not too tall or wide, so DOHC's are usually out) and is reasonably light (aluminum block) and not too complicated (if you transplant the EFI and engine management system, make sure you buy the donor car to get all the required parts, computers and wiring). Or do a Mazda rotary, which has been done a number of times, which gets you the HP, but are lacking bottom end torque (I test drove an RX-8, and it was GREAT. Above 6000 rpm!). Naturally aspirated, many of these engines will get you 120 to 150 HP, or up to 200 HP with a turbo or lots of rpm. Cost? As little as you can get by spending, or as much as you can imagine. OR more...
5) Go all out, and do a GM 60 degree V6, such as a 2.8/3.1/3.4 with the requisite T5 - 5 speed or GM TH automatic. The 150 to 200 HP is pretty nice, but the real bonus is all that torque, at a very usable rpm. Read Ron's (aka namba209) articles at http://opelgt.com/forums/article.php?c=6 Actually, its good reading for ANY engine swap. Cost is dependent on what else you do (rear end, suspension, etc.) and how much you can do yourself. Hired help is hard to find and EXPENSIVE!
6) Find a friend who does British cars (John Beatty in your neck of the woods springs to mind; he is a Winnipeg British car repair guy and racer) who can find you a Rover aluminium block V8, of between 3.5 and 4.6 litres. Big bucks, complicated fitment, British long term problems!, but MAN, what an engine! One member here (yxy) has his for sale, complete with Targa conversion, and probably has $40k into it. Maybe more, but he is in the UK, so the shipping is gonna' be a killer!
7) Do the domestic V8 with a Chevy small block or Ford 302/351. But buy another car too, as the GT will end up either incomplete and NEVER finished(probably 75% of all engine swaps result in the recipient car being junked eventually), or so un-drivable you will just park it.

There, that's my 2 cents worth. Oh, by the way, I grew up in Winnipeg as well (my elderly mom is still in the family house in St. Vital), as did my GT. Back in the "good old days" (before you were born!), my wife and I had two of the GT's in the local Opel club, with maybe 15 members. Probably all moved on to BMW's now.

Again, welcome!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Hey, Winnipeg! Nice. Next time I'm out that way we should meet up. I'm always eager to see another 'survivor' GT. :)

There are three basic rules for an engine swap in a GT:
1. It has to be 4-cylinders or less long. The GT's front suspension prevents the use of long inline-5 or inline-6 engines.
2. 4-cylinder DOHC engines will only work if it's naturally aspirated, since leaves no room for a turbo manifold. You will also have to weld up a custom block-hugging header.
3. 4-cylinder SOHC turbo engines work well with some modification.

Just some suggestions. There's the Toyota 4A engines, which you could fit a 4AGE, a 4AGZE or even a 4AGE 20 valve. Toyota 3SGE also works with the right transmission. A 2.3 Ford Turbo engine is a potent powerplant with lots of room to grow. Mazda Rotory would be perfect, low center of gravity and low weight. Or my personal favourite, Nissan engines like the CA18ET from an older 200SX, a KA24E or a KA24DE out of a 240SX, the 3.0 V6 SOHC from a base 300ZX, or you could get fancy and import an SR20DE or even a SR20VE from Japan.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I'm another newbie to Opels. Mines a '73GT that I find "fun" to drive but kinda dangerously slow (stock). I'd like to keep it fairly original and simple(otherwise I'd by something else-my perspective only-I do appreiciate others swaps and enginouity!) and like options 1 and 2 above (maybe 3). For comparison purposes, what would these options compare to as far as straight line performance? I thing the fun factor would be much higher being able to "take" the average honda kids are now driving (the ones with only addition being a big load muffler!). What would it take (other than me loosing weight-225lbs) to get into stock Mustang GT catagory?

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Mr._Udy, et.al., One of the reasons I undertook the V-6/T-5 swap was your statement being able blow off the "Ricers, with a coffee can exhaust", or words to that affect. The primary reason was that Mike Pilkenton did this swap some years ago and it is documented in the OANA website in a 3 part article. One of Mike's remarks was that he was able to blow off a couple of buddies 5.0L mustangs "who have been talking smack for the last couple of months", and the final reason was I didn't want to take 3 1/2" miles to get the speedo up to an indicated 150 MPH, I want to do it quicker/shorter. To do in the "Ricers" you don't have to go the route I'm taking, You can go the route "Nobody" did with a 2.0L build-up. That thread was lost recently but Gary, our illustrious web site owner/moderator is working on trying to bring it back as time allows. There are other avenues of performance builds that are also documented in this site, just run a search and see what comes up. You'll find pros and cons on whatever you feel you want to do.

·
Super Moderator
13,844 Posts
mr_udy said:
What would it take (other than me loosing weight-225lbs) to get into stock Mustang GT catagory?
An honest 140 hp from an Opel engine will get you Mustang 5.0 performance (late '80's to mid '90's Mustangs). I used to give them fits with a stock appearing Opel with a cast iron exhaust manifold and a single downdraft carburetor....they always looked for nitrous, then walked away disgusted when they realized I didn't run it. It's all about power-to-weight ratio.

Here's a thread that details an engine build-up which can get you 140+ hp from a 1.9 Opel engine.http://opelgt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=13287&postcount=30

Bob

Reactions: Dale .D
1 - 8 of 8 Posts