Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It was probably four weeks ago that I was so down about not being able to get the GT running that I posted it for sale. Since then I've installed new rings, rebuild the head and did a bunch more work and finally this weekend got her running and purring like a kitten.

I must thank all of you at Opel GT.com for helping me with my dumb questions, in particular Keith. I also got a lot of advice and direction from Gill at Opel GT source, who not only got me the parts I needed, but helped me out with technical questions.

Yesterday I had just got the GT going, backed it into the driveway, when fellow GT owner JPIPER stopped for a chat. So I feel good that I have a witness to the fact that the car was running. I've attached a photo of the completed engine, if it doesn't get attached I'll post it in the member album.

Keeping true to form, here is another question. Even with new seals, the oil pan leaks at both the front and rear, any suggestions?

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,116 Posts
well sounds like you get to take the pan off and try again. once they start to leak its nearly impossable to make them stop without "goobering" your motor up with a bunch of silicone. looks ugly and most of the time still dont work.

·
Super Moderator
5,996 Posts
Good looking engine, Graham! Mine is almost as nice, but yours just looks SO much better in the car!

Attachments

·
115 Posts
It's alive!

Yes, I must say I was pretty envious when I dropped by Grahams home and witnessed this smooth running,nice sounding engine purring in the drive way. Graham was pretty proud of the great job he had done and deservedly so. He even said that he sneaked it out around the block for a quick spin and some excitement behind the wheel.
If I can only get started on my spare engine I know who I can call for some "local" help! Graham, drop by the house some time.

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,116 Posts
what is OUblue? i paint my opel motor goofy colors, they've all been detroit alpine diesel green. looks like an olive on the engine stand, but looks great in the car. dad picked out the color and i liked it, then i blamed the car knocking on the color i painted it, saying it was painted with a diesel color so it decided to start acting like one!!!...lol

·
Super Moderator
5,996 Posts
Would that be "Opels Unlimited" Blue? Yikes! Well, I just wanted something different than black, and red just didn't "go" with the Corvette Yellow I am painting the car.

And NO (NO NO NO!) I am NOT installing it from the top. Have I made myself clear here? I do NOT eat green eggs and ham. I mean, I do NOT remove or install GT motors through the hood. I do it the way the factory tells us to do it, after the transmission is properly fastened and sealed to the bell-housing. I do in from UNDERNEATH.

The engine is simply hanging from the trolley and beam in my garage while it waits for me to get the hundred other things in my life done that always gets in front of it, like:

working 60 hours a week, or

doing emergency bathroom renovations because the shower stall has cracked and has ruined the sub-floor and is threatening to drip down into the family room ceiling that I only re-stippled last year or

reinstalling WinXP Pro three times and attempting 4 WinXP repairs, when what is REALLY wrong with my 6 month old computer is Dell received a bad batch of memory cards, and it takes three months and 40 hours of arguing with a technician in India before they will admit that Bill Gates is NOT the only reason that computers crash

OK, I feel better now...

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
9,765 Posts
Keith;
That's all well and good, "BUT", did you leave the motor hanging up there ALL the time? If you have, you're a very trusting soul! I wouldn't, even if I had 12.8 grade bolts. I'm kidding Keith!:D

·
1450 Seeker...
613 Posts
Keith,

Sorry, didn't mean to anger you with my top side installation inquiry, appearances can lead to certain conclusions. I also remember very recently that a member of this board was talking (proudly) about installing the motor in from the top.

Hey at least you have a garage of your own to do the work.

And regards to your XP issues, When I need to reformat and reinstall an operating system (I have four computers in the house, and I frequently "blow my engine" in my PC's), I will drag the PC to wherever I am working on another project and do both at the same time, especially since installing XP mostly involves hitting enter repeatedly....

But that still doesn't get you anywhere since you were installing to a bad piece of hardware... gotta love Hell, I mean Dell.

·
Super Moderator
5,996 Posts
madhatterpdc,

Nah, you didn't make me angry. It was actually comical, since the debate on "pulling" versus "dropping" has been going on in these pages for a while. I just wanted to clarify my position, which might have been vague before. OK, maybe not...

Hey Gene, do you think I should be worried about leaving the engine suspended for so long? It's suspended by some pretty heavy duty bolts to the block (albeit grade 5), heavy chain, by a one ton hoist, to a two tone trolley, on a 10 inch H-beam. The little Opel motor can't weigh more than a couple hundred pounds, and it sure is convenient to move it around and keep it out from underfoot

·
392 Posts
Keith,
Great looking engine. Congratulations on getting it running. Many of my engines have been painted Ford blue and they have all run fine. Nice valve cover. I know chrome doesn't make it go faster but it sure makes it look prettier. I am jealous.
Mike

·
Super Moderator
9,765 Posts
Keith;
I have to "rattle your chain" every now and then LOL! But, if you happen to hear a rather loud crash from your garage, don't bother getting up to investigate, you'll know what it is..LOL ;)

·
Life Long Opeler
692 Posts
EUGHH!!!! Is that a SOLEX I see?

·
Super Moderator
9,765 Posts
Thom;
If you look a little closer at the picture, you'll see the weber- to- original air cleaner adaptor, that is a weber under there.
Gene

·
Life Long Opeler
692 Posts
Gene gene the dancing machine. I never look at things close. You should know that by now.

I love ya man!!!!!! *snif* You live so FAAAAAR from me now.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.