Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I need some information from anybody who has a stock solex in good condition.

The enrichment valve (the little triangular one next to the fuel-feed pipe) is divided in two parts, a main body and a cover. I have a question about each one:

Body: does it have a small brass tube that protrudes out of both sides right next to the widest's corner screw hole ? So that one end of the tube inserts into the carb's cover, and the other end in the valves cover?

if yes then the next answer is automatically answered as well

valve's cover: looking from the underside, at the widest of three corners, does it have a small hole next to the screw's hole, that is a passage to the main cavity of the valve's cover?

This is how the blueprint shows them to be in the manual. I start to realize that my carb was cannibalized for some reason during it's life by people who didn't know what they were doing... In my carb, the small tube in the valves cover did not protrude from any side, and at the underside, it looked like it was cut by a wire cutter (squeezed in a straight line). In addition the small hole in the valve's cover is blocked on the mating surface, by something that does not look like factory job, as it not perfeclty flat with the surface.

Since I had to reduce my main jet to cure for rich mixture, and coming across this, I start to think that by the condition described above, someone did this trying to disable the valve. But istead he made it work all the time. These holes is a vacuum passage from below the throttle valve, that keep the valve closed at closed or little opened throttle, by sucking the membrane and thus the bolt with the rubber washer up. At opened throttle, with low manifold vacuum the spring overcomes the vacuum, pushes the membrane and the bolt down and opens the valve for the enrichment to work...
So I think that this valve was feeding all the time, thus the need for a smaller main. I tried and "repaired" the brass tube and found a cover with the small hole opened. With slow acceleration everything is fine. But when flooring the pedal at about 2-2,5K rpms, the car stumbles, slowly comes back and once the secondary opens it flies, so it looks like a fuel shortage (the smaller main jet???). But I am looking for some confirmation before opening and starting changing jets and stuff...

Thanks!!!

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
I hate to tell you but it seems you already know, yes it was kinda butchered and put back incorrectly. Your drawings are correct.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, a visit to a local carb repair shop looks like it paid out!

I found a complete valve in good condition, installed it and tested it today. No more black smoke out of the tailpipe!!!!

Before, with the 135 main jet (factory setting), at hard acceleration it was smoking above 2,5K rpms, and even with a 125 main jet I had installed (to limit emissions) it was smoking from just below 3K. Now with the stock size 135 main jet there is no black smoke (well, not below 3,5K, and I rarely rev it more than that). Drivability is even better than before. Propably as the enrichment valve was "stuck" open, it was pouring MUCH fuel, uneeded in the low/mid rpms...

I still though get a stubmle ONLY when I suddenly floor the pedal below 2,5K rpms (the vacuum secondary does not yet kick in untill about 3K). With a mild movement of the pedal though the car accellerates strong and smooth. But that is propably due to the accellerator pump. I will find out...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts