Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
regarding Bob's performance intake mods:

I was wondering what anyone (especially Bob L.) thought about using west system epoxy thickened with filler (maybe their aluminum powder filler) instead of marine-tex or similar putty-type epoxy coated with the unthickened west system stuff as he describes in the article...
in their product literature, west system says you can thicken their epoxy to the consistency of peanut butter...

would this application be impervious to the heat and fuel in the intake??

is there anyreason to not use the west system epoxy all the way through??

also, I was wondering if people fill the bolt holes with epoxy and then grind out the manifold, or fill the holes after breaking through

·
Super Moderator
14,180 Posts
FWIW, I no longer use or recommend epoxy for the intake manifold. For long-term use, it can crack and potentially leak fuel, so it can be dangerous. I rely on welding only these days.
AFAIK, West System, as good as it is, won't take the heat the intake is subjected to after a good hot-soak. The exhaust manifold is simply too close to the intake. I'm not knocking West System at all, I use their epoxy for all my composite work in fact. It will handle the fuel issues, but I suspect not the heat.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok, that was very helpful... I did notice that for the plenum ramp you used an aluminum plate instead of epoxy, but I thought there was still epoxy in the four intake-to-exhaust bolt holes...

so when preparing a manifold yourself do you just weld up a bunch of excess material around the carb pad and in the bolt holes and then start grinding away???

also, how do you ensure the bolt holes are filled?? is this something most aluminum welders can do?? (i don't know anything about welding)

thnks

·
Super Moderator
14,180 Posts
I haven't built an intake since the Carlisle giveaway two years ago (I'm retired from Opel intakes!), but basically in the past I would bring the intake to a welder friend of mine, and have him build-up the areas that I will be grinding into. Then the rest of the work (grinding) was for me to do, unless I broke through in another place and had to have him do some touch-up work again.

I just bought a TIG welder this past weekend, so I will be able to do my own welding of aluminum once I get some practice. Ironically, I won't have to weld anymore intakes probably ever again, but it's still a great tool to have around.

Bob

·
299 Posts
hey im curious as to what you r talking about
when i had to replace my intake/exhaust gasket i filed/ground the manifold and header to the same size as the gasket for better flow the gasket matched my head perfect

·
Super Moderator
14,180 Posts
Matching the intake to the intake gasket will not gain any airflow. We are talking about reworking the plenum area of the intake manifold substantially. There are photos of these modifications on this site elsewhere.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts