Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Super Moderator
15,239 Posts
FWIW, I no longer use or recommend epoxy for the intake manifold. For long-term use, it can crack and potentially leak fuel, so it can be dangerous. I rely on welding only these days.
AFAIK, West System, as good as it is, won't take the heat the intake is subjected to after a good hot-soak. The exhaust manifold is simply too close to the intake. I'm not knocking West System at all, I use their epoxy for all my composite work in fact. It will handle the fuel issues, but I suspect not the heat.

· Super Moderator
15,239 Posts
I haven't built an intake since the Carlisle giveaway two years ago (I'm retired from Opel intakes!), but basically in the past I would bring the intake to a welder friend of mine, and have him build-up the areas that I will be grinding into. Then the rest of the work (grinding) was for me to do, unless I broke through in another place and had to have him do some touch-up work again.

I just bought a TIG welder this past weekend, so I will be able to do my own welding of aluminum once I get some practice. Ironically, I won't have to weld anymore intakes probably ever again, but it's still a great tool to have around.

Bob

· Super Moderator
15,239 Posts
Matching the intake to the intake gasket will not gain any airflow. We are talking about reworking the plenum area of the intake manifold substantially. There are photos of these modifications on this site elsewhere.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.