Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All;
Just wanted to post my latest "personalization item" for my 74 Sportwagon.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,918 Posts
Hey, I've got a GT Euro Speedo on my German eBay watch list! Which is de rigeur here in Metric (actually SI, as in Systeme Internationale) Canada. The seller has said he would gladly sell and ship it to me. Where did you score a km/h Ascona speedo.

And more importantly, can you simply use the km/h speedo, or do you need to change the speedo drive gear? Metric minds want to know...

·
Super Moderator
9,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They're on the German EBAY all the time, the GT/E Mantas (same dash as the Ascona) has a 220KPH speedo. They bolt right back in place of the US speedo, and as I haven't driven it yet, the back of the gauge frame was stamped with the same "W=743" code as the speedo is. So, I think I won't have to change a thing.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I live in Europe, and my Ascona B had a max. 200 KM/h speedometer. I recently had problems with stuck gears in it and it stopped counting mileage. So I got a whole dash (used) that had the 220max. speedo (not that I can get it over 160km/hr, just this was the cheapest i could find!). I only replaced the speedo, as everything else is working fine, and it was a simple bolt in, no change required at all. (they are all w743 calibrated). I don't think you will need to ghange the gear in the gearbox for correct measurements. Propably it is just a matter of different prints on the facias for conversion between m/hr and km/hr.

·
1000 Post Club
4,117 Posts
I'd love one for my GT. Anyone want to sell one? I will trade it for a MPH one with some additional incentive :D

Do you need to change the gear in the GT transmission???

·
Registered
534 Posts
Most propably, it might have different gears in the odometer itself, not the gearbox assembly that the odometer cable connects to. My thought though!

·
www.opelgtworld.de
275 Posts
the "W" code in german is "Wegdrehzahl".
W=660 means: 660 revolutions are indicated as 1 km distance
The mile odometer is then W=1062 (660 x 1,609).

The speed indicate is just a matter of different inscription.
So you do not need to change the gear in the transmission,
but the odometer will count in kilometers.

http://rc.opelgt.org/rechnereien/tacho.html

·
Super Moderator
5,298 Posts
How about one for a Kadett?

Just slightly off topic, but how about KM speedo for a Kadett? :confused:

·
'NO,......O P E L..G T!'
585 Posts
Who wants one?

I'm sure without to much effort I could help a few of you guys out in your quest for a km/h speedo......GT's only.

Let me know if I can help.

·
Super Moderator
5,918 Posts
Motor Mouth said:
I'm sure without to much effort I could help a few of you guys out in your quest for a km/h speedo......GT's only.
Let me know if I can help.
Uh, YEA! OK, I mean "how much", including shipping (slow mail is fine) to Canada. And payment can be made by?
Please let me know. Thanks!

·
Dr Opeler!!!
27 Posts
I have a few euro speedometers (with top speed at 200) and they are in good condition for Ascona-A. If i can help anyone message me.

And btw, i am looking for a tachometer for my Ascona, and for the extra instrument console of the SR models. (Oil, battery, small clock i believe) I think that these where standard for the Asconas that where exported to the US, but for the european models these where only on Ascona SR.

·
Your Noble Friend ;-)
4,400 Posts
KM/H for Kadett

@OTTO,

you can have one from me. Please allow 4-6 weeks, until then I have all the stuffed boxes back in my workshop (which is still under construction...).

Dieter

·
Manta Maniac
1,385 Posts
Gary said:
My Senator has the KPH speedo. It is a PITA whan you see a cop on the side of the road and you have to do a quick "conversion" to figure out how far over the speed limit you are. :eek:
Shouldn't be too hard to get you a UK spec speedo....it will have both MPH and KPH...with MPH being the more prominent.

·
Super Moderator
5,298 Posts
Kadett KM speedo . . .

heimue said:
@OTTO,

you can have one from me. Please allow 4-6 weeks, until then I have all the stuffed boxes back in my workshop (which is still under construction...).

Dieter
Much appreciated . . . Muchas Gracias (Vielen Dank, to you), Dieter. :)

·
1000 Post Club
4,117 Posts
Motor Mouth;

I sent you a PM yesterday but I don't know if you got it. I'm interested in the KPH for the GT if it is still available. Let me know.

Jeff

1 - 18 of 18 Posts