Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· 1000 Post Club
4,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Two Part Question;

1. I came across the clear long range headlight lenses. They go where the U.S. GT's front turnsignals go. Does anyone have a picture of these lenses so I know that I have the correct ones? The reason I ask this is that all of the other lenses are plastic and these are glass and all other lenses are made by "Hella" of Germany and these are not Hella, they are from England.

Does anyone have the correct reflector housing which takes the long range headlight bulb, along with the seperate parking light bulb which also is housed in this reflector? Anyone with a wiring diagram for these things too?

2. Did early GT's not use the turnsignal housing for parking lights? I have some of the orange round front turnsignals with a single filiment bulb. Just curious.

· Super Moderator
9,836 Posts
GT lights

Jeff;
There should be two spots in each reflector for a bulb each, one big, one little. If you have that, then you have the correct ones. The early GT's 69 for sure only used these lights as turn signals, i.e., they only came on with the trun signal switch. Later GT's were fitted with the ability to use them as running lights also.
Gene

· OPEL-LESS!!!
2,111 Posts
those for sale Gene? if not where/how did you get them?

· Super Moderator
9,836 Posts
Euro GT lights

Jared;
No, sorry,I don't have these, they were on Ebay quite some time back. I save pics of various parts and cars to use as future reference, like now.

· Driver
987 Posts
This is my version. They are Hella lot cheaper then the Opel ones. :D

Attachments

· Member 1000 Post Club
1,521 Posts
Try the Cibie Head Lights. You can find used ones on Ebay. Also, there are Hella head lights. Back in the 70's, Cibie and Hella were the first two major brands to offer non-sealed beams with modern lens/reflector/bulb technology. They were so advanced for their times that the US DOT didn't allow them on the road for a few years.

You can get them with 55watt low beam/ 60 Watt high beam bulbs that should work fine with the stock wiring and alternator.

I've been running a set of Cibie H4s (Hi/Lo) and H1s (Hi) on my Manta since 1978.

· Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
Sealed Beams

opelenvy said:
This is my version. They are Hella lot cheaper then the Opel ones. :D
They look like the Hella 4" sealed beam head lights used on some tractors .... enlighten us please - pretty please. A Hella part number would be a service to us all ....

· Driver
987 Posts
GTJIM said:
They look like the Hella 4" sealed beam head lights used on some tractors .... enlighten us please - pretty please. A Hella part number would be a service to us all ....
Well I was actually using a play on words with the "Hella" part. :D They are actually Wagner sealed beam from Tractor Supply.

Details on the install are at http://geocities.com/opelenvy/73gt/work/blinkers/blinkers.htm

· Super Moderator
9,836 Posts
Euro lighting

Paul;
I had the complete 5 3/4" set up on my Dad's 74 Rallye. If you hit the hi beams, those 4 headlights had a reflective range of over 9600' hey were awesome. I have the 7" "Z" beams in both my GT and Sportwagon. I won't drivea car now without them. Cibie's ROCK!!!

· 1000 Post Club
4,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I got my Hella H-4s from this source
http://www.rallylights.com/
Good Prices :)

I'll have to post a picture of the lenses I have. They are glass and were made for the Bezel. They fit right in and even have the little alignment marks which match the bezel. Be patient with me, I will have to borrow someones digital camera.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.