Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked this up a few months ago on Craigslist. It was listed as a 71 Buick Opel. From what the previous owner told me, it was built for a World of Wheels car show back in the 70’s. It has a 1967 Buick 225 V6 w/4 speed. The door tag reads “MFD by General Motors Corp 09/70.” So is it a 1970 or 71? Pretty sure it’s a 1971 Ascona.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
No never seen one. Interesting look. Should be good power to weight ratio. It would be cool to know the story behind it.

·
Detritus Maximus
2,873 Posts
9/70 would be a 71, follows model year, not calendar year. What does the chassis look like? Is it Opel or was the body dropped onto something else?

I kind of like it. A little awkward in the C pillar area.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They put it on a full boxed frame. Looks like a 8.5 chevy rear end with leaf springs. Couldn’t pass it up when I saw it. Too unique. Interior is old school button tuck. Been in storage for about 15 years. Has what looks to be a Pinto rack and pinion.

Attachments

·
Detritus Maximus
2,873 Posts
Huh. Interesting. Still Opel front suspension? Have you driven it?

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
Yeah it is interesting, it sure doesn't look like any Ascona I've ever seen. I fact, not being mean, it looks like something someone cobbled together using various opel parts. Just my opinion, Jarrell

·
Detroit,where my home was
2,987 Posts
The front and back are from an "A" Ascona / 1900 but some one added some car between the front tires and the "A" pillar and removed some car between the door and "C" pillar and modified the "C" pillar.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, I drove it around the block after dropping/ draining the fuel tank, replacing the master cylinder, and both front calipers. Runs good, but still haven’t gone through it completely yet, so... You are correct 2fast4U, they stretched the front about 10 inches, funny car style. Even though they shortened the back, the doors both shut like a brand new car. Front suspension looks to be an original Opel, thoughts?

Attachments

·
Detritus Maximus
2,873 Posts
Yep, looks like Ascona suspension. If the wheelbase isn't stretched too much, it might even handle a little. The brakes, if Opel, probably aren't up to the task. Springs and shocks might need upgrading.

The dash is probably identifiable which might give clues to other parts used. The seats I could live with, but not the upholstery on the doors and dash.

I'm liking it more and more.

·
Detroit,where my home was
2,987 Posts
On the valve cover I can see the Australian GM car brand "Holden" and that it's a V6.

·
Detritus Maximus
2,873 Posts
Definitely Holley, but Holden did use the 3.8 Buick.....might be cool to get some Holden valve covers!

·
Detritus Maximus
2,873 Posts
It's a little rainy here so I don't have much to do today.....

Might be cool to fix the car up in 'period'. Make it look like it was built in 71. But make some improvements like the 75 Opel big brakes, a T5 5 speed should go right in if there is enough room between the motor and diff, and a/c.

Edit: with the exhaust dumping underneath and the traction bars, and I presume a four barrel carb the 75 brakes probably aren't enough.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It really doesn’t need much work. Could drive it around now, but I’m rewiring it with a 14 fuse block, because the wiring is sketchy at best.

·
Opeler
1,510 Posts
Anyone know what these came out of?
I don't recognize these instruments specifically, but the steering column looks like it is out of an old GM car. So, maybe he just pulled the gauge cluster out of the same car as the steering column. The second panel just looks like old Stewart-Warner type aftermarket gauges.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts