Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help !!!!!

I have rebuilt my motor, Replaced all components even oil pump cover/gasket.....

primed oil pump ran it with a drill all looked good.

Went to start it up and blew out the oil filter gasket!!!!

Has this happened to anyone, what did I do wrong?? can this be fixed???

any ideas!!!!!!

desperate!

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
High Pressure

Check out the oil pressure relief valve - some are in the front cover and others in the oil pump cover plate.

If that is stuck closed the oil pressure can reach 1,500 psi !!

If the relief valve is OK then check a bit further into the oil system as a delivery gallery may be blocked by RTV or a misaligned gasket or just gunk.

If the oil filter was snugged up properly the it takes a lot of pressure to blow the base gasket.

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Before I lost my 1.9 engine, it was common FOR ME, to blow out the gasket on Fram oil filters, I switched to Purolator and the problem went away. The wierd thing was this happened after years of using Fram filters, then I blew out two of them on consequetive oil changes. After looking at the Fram and comparing them with the Purolator, I found the Purolator has 4 crimps in the base holding the gasket in, Fram had less, I don't remember how many, but less. Also, one thing I recently discovered is some filters do not have the bypass valve in them any more, that could be a mitigating factor. HTH.

Ron

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have a newer oil pump cover. It has the pressure relief in the cover.

I was told that you need to block off the timming cover relief when you use the new oil pump cover w/relief valve built in it.

I put the oil pump cover on with the oil pressure relief facing forward towards the car. Is it possible to be put on backwards??

thanks guys.

·
Super Moderator
13,812 Posts
The pressure regulator should face the rear of the car, towards the oil pan more specifically. Facing it forward will cause the high oil pressure problem. HTH.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts