Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
4ZUA787
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey all almsot done with my what was only suppose to be a header repar but turned into a head gasket job and steering rack job as well, just thought that while i had everything out and access to both the head and steering rack why not do them as well, i installed the new felpro head gasket today and decided on going against putting those two extra holes in it by exhaus 2 and 3, still am working on my header problem though, i have an extra one in almost perfect shap except for one of the flange bolts were the pipe hooks to the header one of the corners is broken so i have no way to put the stud in to the header, and not sure if welding is the best option???? cast iron is a bi$ch to weld as ive practiced on some old scrap cast iron with my mig and oxy/actlyne torch, although i do have specail rod for an arc welder to weld cast iron just odnt have an arc welder any more and have been quoted 200+ from other places to weld up that spot, what do u all think i should do, weld it and chance it or buy one from ogts or somewhere??? any help appreciated.

·
239 Posts
Get another exhaust!!!

Do your self a favor and get a new/used exhaust manifold from Opels Unlimited for about ($150 for a sprint) and be done with it!!!As your putting all this hard work into it now and welding would be a temp. repair in my book!

·
4ZUA787
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well it turned out today when i decided that i would weld the corner part of the flange instead of waiting for one via ups or fedex, i took a rod that is used for stick arc welding cast iron chipped all the flux off then took my oxy/acytlene torch and welded up most of it then took some brazing rod and filled the rest then took a belt sander inverted in a vice and smoothed the flanging surface works fine for now atleast and if it cracks in some time soon i should be able to drive on it while i order a new one then jus swamp um.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts