Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,817 Posts
Which part are you referring to, the actual exhaust manifold or the piping that comes after it? The manifold can be removed, a little difficult, but, it can be done. The head pipe attached to it no...not without cutting your exhaust which requires welding to replace.

Reactions: FReis

·
Registered
The Young One
1,209 Posts
Thanks for your reply!
This part: View attachment 445176
On A GT I took it off without removing the engine. Just be carefull because I broke every single bolt that connects it too the exhaust manifold. I was putting a header on it so it didn't matter. If you want to use the stock manifold I would soak those bolts for a long time in oil.

Reactions: FReis

·
Super Moderator
9,817 Posts
Freis
That is the head pipe. If you're just replacing the front part, that's where the pipe splits into two, if you cut it off just past where the two pipes merge, you might be able to wiggle it out from under the car, if the car is on jack stands. The only other problem you may have is the 6 bolts that hold the pipe to the manifold. They rust BIG TIME.. be careful and good luck! 😁

·
Super Moderator
14,649 Posts
Two things make this job easier to do.

First of all, the front anti-rollbar must be disconnected and lowered to provide clearance.

Secondly, the car needs to be as high as possible off the ground. If you have access to a car lift, then this is really a fairly simple task to change this exhaust headpipe.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts