Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Exaust Systems for GT

I am doing a full restoration on my GT. I am headed for media blasting next Saturday and plan on doing the body work in the coming weeks. My real question is; has anyone gotten a new exhaust system from scratch? I was looking at the prior posts and nothing seemed to cover this. I was also looking over the Suselbeek catalog and was wondering if anyone had installed any of the exhaust systems they have to offer, particularly the Hockenheim. I had seen Rallybob's post about Flowmaster's not doing well on GTs so there goes that idea. I need to get this sorted out and if I am ordering from Europe I need to do it soon.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
-S

·
Super Moderator
9,768 Posts
OGTS sells the head pipe for sure, but, as for the rest of the system, if you're doing a "correct" stock resto, you'll have to do some serious EBAY/internet searching. Most just "custom" the rest of the system. Both my GT and my Wagon are that way. I spent a year on the net looking for just the headpipe for the Wagon.

·
Code Goober
243 Posts
I recently bought everything but the resonater from the Opel GT Source guys, and it shipped the next day. I think that they may have resonaters as well, but I never asked.

·
102 Posts
OGTS does sell the resonator/chrome tips for about $80.
I just got mine delivered last week. One thing to keep in mind
is that it doesn't bring the bracket that attaches underneath
the body the car.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't really want to stay stock with the exhaust. I was thinking of going flowmaster but I have read negative reviews about Opels and flowmasters. I am looking to get good sound out of the car, so going aftermarket would be the way to go. I know that I can more then likely get what I need from OGTS but wanted to know first hand if any one on this board had put on aftermarket exhaust, how it worked (better or worse HP) and of course how it sounded. I don't want my GT to sound like some yippee Honda.

-S

·
Premium Member
1,973 Posts
I am wondering about a "inline resonator" (if that exists) because i have a hobbled up exhaust system like a flexy axhaust pipe and a what i think is a muffler held on with a piece of a fanbelt holding it on and an ansa 4 tipped pipe. so i want to replace the flexy pipe with stainless pipe and i want more sound to it (it sounds like a dodge stratus its so quiet) and replace the muffler with a resonator and keep the ansa. can i do this? or does any one have any bettter ideas?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
bodie38,

When you get back we should hook up and lemme take a look at your GT. I am also in SD and would love to see some other GTs. The SD OMC should have a get together once a month not once a quarter.

On your custom built exhaust, do you know if you have the dual muffler setup (muffler + resonator)?

-S

·
Opeler
44 Posts
Exhaust

I am in San Diego as well, and I have a decidedly non-stock exhaust on my car. It was put together by the previous owner, and it may be one of the few things on the car he got really properly sorted. I am not sure what it does for horsepower, but the car revs freely and makes a great sound. Let me know if you want to take a look at it some time.

·
Registered
98 Posts
On my '70 GT there is a header with 1 3/4 tubes, 4/2/1 set-up. I don't know the Manufacturer but it kind of looks custom, tubes are equal length. The exhaust I used was 2 1/4 to a single 2 1/4 inlet/double 2 5/8 outlet muffler. Only one I could find at the shop that would fit in the space I had and still give some decent clearance. I then went over the axles with two 2 5/8 pipes and ended with some chrome tips. It gives nice sound with out the abrasive blatting of the original ( I believe) 1 5/8 pipe that was on it. It was hard to tell what size the original pipe was it looked like they had run over an animal before I got it.
But now the engine runs good, as tired as it is it will rap to 7000 right quick like. Can't help but wonder what it would do with new equipment in it, can't wait to get the '73 going maybe I'll just swap all that stuff into it eventually.
It must be a lot tougher there though with emission laws and such. What kind of problems do they present, when trying to better your engine and exhaust?

·
648 Posts
Funny this should come up now. I received an e-mail from Todd (Opels Unlimited) yesterday saying that he has aftermarket performance systems in stock. Of course, I had inquired about it 1-1/2 months ago! I was asking about a complete bolt on system as I now have a muffler shop system that looks terrible. He gave no details, but asked for my phone number and said he would call.

I'll let everyone know what he's selling when he calls........probably in another 1-1/2 months!

James

·
Registered
19 Posts
That website is pretty, but has no information as to any exhaust system that I can find. So what muffler is anyone actually using? I have the manifold and headpipes already, and want to run 2" pipe, ending in the quad anza tips I already have. I stopped at two shops and one the custom guy says sure he will build it, just bring in what muffler I want. The second shop does not have a clue as to what size or brand to try and use. I have no center muffler/resonator/cat convert. Just a muffle that sits sideways in the very back where the original one was. The shop says no way he can come up with something like that. Comes out of that muffler on opposite ends, then branchs to each of the 4 anza tips. They have what looks like perforated expansion chambers inside of each tip about 6" long. Any ideas would help. I already have everything off and waiting to get this on the road again.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I just read someone elses thread and realized I was using the wrong vernacular. I have no muffler, and am just relying on the resonator. It has been slightly modified to accept the quad anza tips. the guy I am pretty sure will end up doing the work suggested that as well with the camaro muffler. I also saw where someone is using a real muffler inline underneath and the having a u shaped split at the back to the tips. All these ideas sound good, and are better than what I had before. I will talk with teh shop guy and see what he thinks. I just checked out a 68 camaro he did custom and it was real sweet with excellent welds. I needed some input as to what anyone else has tried and what actually works.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Oh I had to bring this up again. Member those exhaust headers on ebay awhile back that everyone was asking about, yes Todd was selling them. I sent him an email on 7/9, and he replied on 7/28! The guy never changes. I was thinking about buying a set, but if I won them I probably would not see them until xmas! Had to laugh. I am going with the set up that keith? posted. Off my FI manifold, into a FI header, to a 2" pipe. to muffler, to two 1 3/4 pipes. to quad anza tips. Whoever won the headers I would sure like to hear how it all turned out, or if you have seen them yet! JB

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
For those of you that have the stock GT exhaust and want a little better flow and sound, take out the baffles inside the stock chrome tips. I did it on my 72 GT a lot of years ago and it sounded pretty good. Also the tach would indicate max travel on the needle in 4th gear after the minor mod. For my V-6 mod it will 1 into 2 into 3 on both sides. Not sure if I can run equal length because of the oxy sensors and the EGR valve. Both have to be used to make sure the computer gives good info to the injectors. The only thing I can do without is the air pump, and I've got to BS the computer into thinking it's there. You gotta be smarter than them sometimes.

Ron

·
Premium Member
1,973 Posts
is there something wrong with ansa tips on the resonator and no muffter? because i wanted to do that i have the ansa tips on the resoantor and an in-line muffler that i want to do away with. does it have a good sound? will i gain or lose or stay the same with HP? im fine with staying the same or gaining but i dont want to lose hp.

·
70's Opeler, back 4 more!
398 Posts
Jordan,

I am running a header on a 2.0 ltr engine, without a muffler, into a resonator with the tips and the sound can get loud inside. It does have a good sound and it will really rap as you let off the gas.

It does not sound like some of the Honda add-on exhaust tips that give a hollow sound.

It sounds like you might like it. I have a 16 year-old son that loves it and doesn't want to change it. (Now mom's another story.)

He actually was stopped by one of the mothers in our neighborhood and told to slow down. He told me that he was under the speed limit, but he had Rev'ed the engine as he got on the street. (some parents have no humor!)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts