Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Senior Contributor
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello, well finally got the gt out today.. very nice weather... and the exhaust is tapping the bottom of the car under the passenger seat. right where that support thing is where the tranny crossmember bolts on to. i took out all my interior. to find what was making that noise in the rear end... sounds like the gas tank jumping.. or the rear pannel jumping.. i took the gas tank cover out my top speaker pannel and the metal under it.. take it out again on a decent road.. little bump and "tap tap" or maybe its more of a clunk clunk" its not on take off... its just when you hit a little bump. so i think my exhaust is it tapping in the rear somewhere.. but it sounds like it is coming from the interior.. any idea's? thanks in advance...

·
Registered
616 Posts
well a cheap temperary fix would be to just get something soft, anything really and stick it on wherever its tapping, did it on my friends car before since it was a piece of junk and wasn't worth spending money on, can't remember what we used though but it quieted it and it didn't sound like metal on metal, just a light bump... just like the amount of bass from a cheap speaker

·
Registered
275 Posts
I've got taps too

As soon as we (ging and I) got our GT running I noticed a knocking in the back end. It took me a while to figure it out. Here's what I found. The PO replaced the entire exhaust system, however, right at the end (after the resonator) the two tail pipes tilt up just a hair too much. Any torque from the engine (especially when starting) or a good bump causes the tail pipes to bump the body right where it starts to curve up the back end. I'm going to assume this next part is true for all years of GT's. Right where the two pipes exit the resonator there is a metal bracket that spans both pipes. Normally, if the system moves up and down this bracket would strike a rubber bumper that mounts directly above it. On our (HER) GT, the pipes strike the body before striking the bumper. Your symptoms may be simply that you are missing this little bumper. I'll have to bend some pipes to fix ours.

I hope that all made sense.
Even better, I hope this works.

BTW. OGTS sells those bumper thingys... about 3 bucks I think

Dan and Ging

·
199 Posts
When I installed the 2 inch exhaust pipe I had the same problem with it contacting the bottom pan. It really echoed thru the car. To "fix" it I cut a piece of rubber off an old exhaust hanger that I had in the garage and contact cemented it to the underside where the contact point was. I still get contact going over some bumps but the rubber insulates the noise such that I don't hear it any more.

hth
Brian

·
Senior Contributor
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
one question... wont the rubber melt if i put it where the first tap is?(by the tranny crossmember) because it gets really hot there.. but it only seems to tap there when im in reverse. i replaced tranny mount not to long ago thinking the tranny was taping something.. but nope.. its exhaust, im pretty sure. but every time i drive over a bump " thud thud" i know.. i have sucky sound effects. but my resonator isnt stickings traight out the back. it is kinda pointing to the drivers side( as in the whole resonator) thanks for the replys

·
Registered
275 Posts
This may sound silly but have you tried just crawling under the car and jiggling the exhaust system? That's what I finally did.
Another thing to look at is to make sure all of your little rubber hangers are intact. If our GT is stock(ish).... We have 4 hangers, 2 behind the resonator and two more about half way toward the front. If one or two were missing you would/might get more bounce or twist in the exhaust.

Just an idea, I'm no expert (yet) :D
do skinned knuckles count as credit in Opel school? :rolleyes:

Dan and ging

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.