Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I was looking through the Eastwood catalog, I noticed an ad for an exhaust wrapping kit. Now, I've never used one or known anyone who has. Is there anybody out there that has used exhaust wraps on their GT exhaust manifold? The ad claims that it can reduce underhood temps 45% or more. Are they really that effective or are these ads overly optimistic?
Just wondering.

Jim

·
Opel fan
357 Posts
wrapping exhaust

I have a friend that has used the wrap before on his Mopars and it seems he was pretty happy with what it did for him. He said it kept his car from vapor locking. A lot of heat can radiate from headers and keeping that heat out from under the hood is good. HTH

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
The idea is good but, I have had friends who have used the exhaust wrap on their headers and while driving in the rain the wrapping got wet and accelerated the tubes of the headers rusting out. One would think the heat would keep the wrapping dry, but apperantly it didn't. They changed to porcelin headers, or had them Jet coated quite pricey, but does the same job of lowering the heat. Just my $.02 worth. Jarrell

·
Registered
109 Posts
We used exhaust wraps on my son's racing karts for years and the effect was very extensive on the dyno as well as the track. Whether you'll get the same effect out of an automobile engine i'm not sure but i'm betting they work as intended.

I'd be a little concerned about the rust issue though if you use it on a daily driver that will see rain or any car that will see moisture as well.

·
Super Moderator
13,812 Posts
Exhaust wrapping accelerates the rusting of the exhaust pipe because of heat retention rather than moisture retention. Basically the high temps wear the inside of the pipe away, so it 'rusts' from the inside out. I've used it in racing applications with good results, but only on pipes that were already ceramic coated. A daily driver Opel with this header wrapping would rust out a mild steel header in about a year.

An alternative high-temp insulative coating is Swain-Tech thermal barrier coating. It's far better than most shiny ceramic coatings at reducing underhood temps. On my friend's turbocharged Nissan it reduced the surface temp of his exhaust manifold by over 300 degrees F.

HTH

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Swain-tech coating

Bob, the Swain-Tech thermal coating sounds interesting. Is this something I could buy and apply myself, or does it have to be done professionally?

Jim

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the link Paul. I'm going to have them coat my exhaust manifold for $125.00, and then when I get my new header I'll have that coat too.

Jim

·
Super Moderator
1,802 Posts
opelgt71 said:
Thanks for the link Paul. I'm going to have them coat my exhaust manifold for $125.00, and then when I get my new header I'll have that coat too.

Jim
Cast iron manifolds are listed as $125 a pair. You should send them 2 and see if they hold to that price. I'm sure someone here would be happy to split the cost with you.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts