Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Opel GT Targa Driver
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m sure most of you have seen the original ‘experimental’ GT::yup: with his super flat nose and square headlights, here are some detail photo’s, notice the difference in front and back suspension. And what about the interior:)

·
boomerang opeler
5,626 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,362 Posts
Looks like Rekord C suspension to me. Coil springs on top of axle, trailing arms, and panhard bar. Also much wider than Opel GT/Kadett B axle.

·
Opel GT Targa Driver
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Looks like Rekord C suspension to me. Coil springs on top of axle, trailing arms, and panhard bar. Also much wider than Opel GT/Kadett B axle.
Bob, if you say so than it’s probable more than likely, in all the post I’ve ever read from you, your right all the time:yup:

·
Viking
862 Posts
Yes, it seems like you are right. This is written about the experimental GT in the book OPEL GT Gold Portfolio 1968-1973:

Opels engineers used a blend of components in the chassis. The floorpan is basically Kadett, as is the independant front suspension, using a transverse leaf spring. At the rear, they located the coil-sprung axle with trailing arms and a lateral Panhard rod. This layout was new to Opel, but since has been adopted on the firm`s Rekord and Commodore models.

·
Senior Contributor
874 Posts
Cool photos, thanks for sharing them. I noticed a couple of interesting things.

The gas cap is much much more flush, and the exhaust goes UNDER the rear axle.

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
Test Bed ...

The experimental GT was designed in the early 1960's as a mobile test bed for Opel suspensions at Opel's new high speed test track.
The Kadett (and probably the rest of the Opel range) did not receive the coil spring rear suspension till 1967 1/2 - after it had been tested and proofed on the experimental GT.

·
Vendor
2,516 Posts
Nice (and timely) article on the 1965 Opel GT Concept Car, which also touches on some other models (I have to admit that my heart flutters whenever
I see the Corvair Monza GT! :love: ) By the way, that Kadett Hatchback sketch is awesome.
Cheers,
Ron in FL

1 - 16 of 16 Posts