Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know offhand where the best place to get spare keys made is? Would Wal-mart have the blanks necessary or is it too rare of a key and do I need to locate a locksmith or maybe even send them off somewhere to be made?

Thanks yet again guys!

Claud

·
Super Moderator
9,751 Posts
Clauf=d;
I have a couple of blanks, but, there is an old Ace Hardware here that still stocks the Opel blanks.
Gene

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,116 Posts
how much for 2 blanks gene?

·
Super Moderator
9,751 Posts
let me see if I can dig them out first....buried from the move a year ago.

·
4ZUA787
665 Posts
modt places now a days use these new fangled key makers which i do not think would work for our opel's, but i still now a guy here in cali that does them the old fashioned way, i broke a trunk key in half once and that was my only copy of it i went to him he traced it on a piece of paper and then took a balnk and made me a copy in less then 5 minutes and it cost me the normal price for a regular key copying its about 2.25, and the key worked. i have him do all my keys i would find someone who does it the old fashioned way and take ur opel key there to have copied

·
Super Moderator
9,751 Posts
ok, I have them here in in my hand, they are "ilco #v276" Tthey look to be the keys for the Manta and Asconas

·
Registered
456 Posts
different "ilco" blank number

I just had some keys made for the ignition and fuel cap on my GT. They are also "ilco" but a different number...079JB. They seem to work fine.

·
boomerang opeler
5,636 Posts
my spare keys are curtis ind. no op19

·
Opeler
30 Posts
I got my spare keys from OGTS. Gil has both types of keys. After receiving the blanks from Gil, I just took them to the local hardware store and they cut them for me. Just make sure you let Gil know if you have the "notched" key or regular key. I had one of each.

·
Pathologic Opeler
1,960 Posts
duplicate key trouble

I took two blanks to the hardware store for my "spare key stash", which I hide on the car...(sometimes I keymeister my own keys...which means lose them or lock them or take someone else's)

here is the problem: the masters work fine, but the duplicates require wiggling and jiggle to work...what can I do? they look the same with my eye... should I deepen the cut grooves a bit on the duplicate with a small grinder or file?

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Dean, I wouldn't make the grooves any deeper or mess with the new keys at all. The reason is, you have new blanks cut from worn keys and to make any changes to the new ones may make them useless. With the jiggling, you can at least make them work now. JMTCW.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts