Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Opel Key Master
5,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Noticed on pictures of early 69 GT Jim Brannen has recently posted, the valve cover, someone has added an extra breather to the opposite side of the cover. Was there a reason for this? Wouldn't cause leaks there due to no splash guards or good seal. Was the original not sufficient enough? Just never seen that done that way and wondered.
Keith

·
Super Moderator
14,180 Posts
opelspyder said:
Noticed on pictures of early 69 GT Jim Brannen has recently posted, the valve cover, someone has added an extra breather to the opposite side of the cover. Was there a reason for this? Wouldn't cause leaks there due to no splash guards or good seal. Was the original not sufficient enough? Just never seen that done that way and wondered.
Keith
I've done this before on high po engines, as they tend to push quite a bit more pressure from the crankcase. High mileage stock engines do the same. My reasoning for not venting into the air filter/carburetor is because oil vapor reduces fuel octane, increasing the chances for detonation. Not P.C. in this day and age emissions-wise, but I won't risk destroying an engine from it. I plug the stock valve cover holes on the intake-side to prevent oil leaks from dripping on the exhaust. Most breathers are baffled, so they don't push liquid oil out, just vapor.

Here's an example on a roller-cam 2.5 litre Sportwagon, the breather is a 90 degree cast aluminum part from Edelbrock:

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
9,768 Posts
Hey Bob;
How about swappin' Sportwagons!?!?!?! LOL, just kidding, my next motor is going to be far better the the stock, low compression I have now. :D

·
Super Moderator
14,180 Posts
Not my Sportwagon, it's my friend Gregg's. He's gonna strip the car down next year and put a Manta nose on it, and it'll get fuel injection with a custom intake and twin throttle bodies.

I have two Ascona wagons, one Sportwagon that I'm gonna make into a pickup truck, and a '71 I'm gonna leave stock appearing but will be turbocharging.

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
I need something there and couldn't tell how it would fit. I like that and it looks right. Thanks for the link to the pic, I need to order one to fix that breather issue. Is the small one just plugged?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts